Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CJM Jets.. what do you think?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CJM Jets.. what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2002, 10:58 PM
TJK
My Feedback: (69)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default CJM A-7

Jack,

The CJM A-7 is NOT the Aeroloft design. Bruce bought the molds from the original designer/manufacturer in Germany. It is a big and beautiful model. The only remaining piece of engineering is a positive down-lock for the scale gear. Bruce has the design figured out (very simple), but is finishing up some previous designs.

Watch for the F-22........!

Tom
Old 06-30-2002, 11:42 PM
F900
My Feedback: (2)

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Default CJM Questions

Tom

2 questions for you. 1st Q, I bought the video of the CJM offer on CJ jets, and the D/F F-104 caught my attention can you tell me what engine did it have in it, i liked how it flew and i like how it looks, can you tell me more about the flying qualities of it , from the video it did not look like much runway was required to T/O and Land. Do the Main Gear retract into the fuse or wing as i could not tell from the Video and does it have gear doors. Also Is it a easy jet to fly ?

2nd question to your knowledge has anyone every installed a 12lbs turbine into the CJ F-100, i have one built ready for a engine. But still deciding if i should install a BVM 91 or a Ram 500 Equivalent and use it as a Turbine trainier. Or if i install a BVM 91 what speeds do you think i would be able to achieve

Thanks in advance

Robert
Old 07-01-2002, 12:23 AM
arw9fmw
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CJM A-7

Ok fine on the A-7 design Tom. I guessed wrong. Wonder who bought the Aeroloft A-7. They told me it would not be on the market for a year or so.

Ok I will watch for the Raptor. There is at least one Raptor kit on the market now I think.

In my opinion the thing Bruce needs the worst is GOOD PLANS - if it takes CAD then that should be! The Cougar was the first airplane in 65 years that I could not build from the plans. The manuals were helpful but not the answer.

Is Brent still at the store?
Old 07-01-2002, 02:00 AM
TJK

Default F-104 and F-100 questions

Robert

The factory demo F-104 was powered with an OS 91 and either a Dynamax or Ramtec, I can't remember which. The wings plug in, the gear retracts into the fuse, and it does have full gear doors. It is very well behaved both on the ground and in the air. I used about 15 degrees of flaps for takeoff. I had a long, paved runway, so I was not concerned with minimizing the roll. I would guess it is capable of T/O within 300 feet with flaps.

In flight, I equate the F-104 to a Yellow A-4 with scale wings. It is easy to fly, but you have to get on the elevator in the turns to maintain altitude. Very solid feel overall, not at all twitchy. The landing approach is surprising; it floats a long way with 15 degrees of flaps! I actually had to go around on my first couple of landing approaches because I could not get it down! I learned to set it up on a long final and use 40 degrees of flaps to get some drag on the plane.

The wings are NOT scale in span. I hope to one day build a stock kit powered by an FD-3/67 turbine, and build a series of smaller span wings to see if I can get closer to a scale span.

Bruce has scale inlets for turbine applications. The DF inlets are larger than scale to allow for proper air volume to the fan.

Even with the scale deviations, the plane is cool and impressive!

Jack,

Brent is still with Bruce. He's the main glass guy, and Bruce's greatest asset. He pretty much runs the kit division of CJM and stays as far away from the retract side of the house as possible!

Tom
Old 07-06-2002, 12:59 PM
Texan
My Feedback: (10)

Default CJM Jets.. what do you think?

Tom,
your comment regarding the separate departments of CJM is interesting. I will follow-up with the guys flying CJM jets to find out more regarding construction and flight characteristics.

Thanks,
TX
Old 07-06-2002, 04:00 PM
TJK

Default CJM

Texan,

It's a "friendly rivalry" relationship between the kit and retract divisions at CJM. Brent is needed full-time in the kit department. He can hardly keep up with kit production and development of the new designs.

Regards,

Tom
Old 07-06-2002, 04:26 PM
F900

Default F-100

Tom,

What about the 2nd part to my question regarding the F-100 it is unanswered lol, should i go small turbine or D/F ?

Thanks Again

Robert
Old 07-06-2002, 04:49 PM
TJK

Default CJM F-100

Sorry about that, Robert!

I have no experience with the CJM F-100. Brent has told me that they sell quite a few of the kits, and that they fly well.

The kit, as I am familiar with it, does not include an intake liner. This is one of the reasons why I would suggest using the RAM 500. It will be much more tolerant of the turbulent intake airflow. I imagine the R-500 should push it along in the 150 mph range, minimum.

If you decide to go with a fan unit, I would suggest gluing a simple fairing around the outer lip of the fan housing intake to smooth the flow. A small diameter foam tube, such as those used to insulate pipes, will give an appreciable increase in thrust and is well worth the small effort. I assume there is enough room to do this. ANYTHING you do to help smooth the exposed sharp inlet lip will pay thrust dividends.

Please keep me posted on your progress, and if you have some pics, I'd love to see them.

Regards,

Tom
Old 07-07-2002, 10:43 AM
TJK

Default CJM F-100 again

Robert,

I just wanted to clarify something; the idea behind the foam pipe insulation glued to the circumference of the fan shroud is to form a bell mouth for an intake. The center of the foam should be glued to the edge of the outside-front lip of the fan unit. This may sound odd, but will provide a noticeable increase in performance, especially in the low speed regime.

Regards,

Tom
Old 07-07-2002, 04:47 PM
F900

Default CJ F-100

Tom,

Thanks for the kind advice, seems to me the easiest thing do to is to install the Ram 500, i dont think it would be a hard jet to fly with that combo. it would mean i could the the fuel tanks made for each wing, i think the F-100 looks better with them. Thats something i would like to try.

The Ducted Fan option is the quickest way for me to get this F-100 in the air, i have a BVM 96 engine i could install, see how it flies if i like than go with the turbine option. The F-100 is built retracts installed, all it needs is a engine and servos.

If everything goes well and i like how it flies the color scheme below is how i would like to have it. Just curious what would be the best way to get the bare metal scheme ? ,what paint should be used to get that look

Cc Picture/model by Thang Le (Thanks Thang)

Robert
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	16923_253.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	10137  
Old 07-07-2002, 06:14 PM
nIgHthAwK17

Default CJM Jets.. what do you think?

I'm not sure about their other work, but I have a CJM LaScorpion, and I was not happy with the molding quality, much less the sheeted foam wings. I'm not exactly sure how they managed to screw them up, but they did. The airfoil shape was warped between the leading edge and the crest of the airfoil. The molding of the hatches was not up to par - there were significant gaps along the sides. And the clear plastic canopy was oversized, so nothing really fit...