Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

OS Engine Trouble for RC10GT HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2002, 12:16 AM
FT RC10GT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS Engine Trouble for RC10GT HELP!!!

Hey Guys,
I have a brand new Factory Team RC10GT with a OS .15 CV-R 10(E) Rotary Carb. I cannot get the new OS to turn over. Is it just that tight or is something wrong? Is there anything I can do. I have a Dynamite dual 550 motor starter box but it just cannot spin the flywheel. I have a Ofna Blue Starter box on the way. I was told that that would have the most power. Will that starter box turn it over? In any event I need any tips on breaking the motor in and just getting it turned over and started for the first time. Would putting some kind of oil in the cylinder head work? I'm up for anything! Any tips and help will be greatly appreciated. Please HELP ME!

Thanks
Old 07-01-2002, 12:52 AM
Elwood
My Feedback: (2)

Take off the glow plug and see if that helps. When you put it on the starter box, does a lot of fuel and oil fly out of the hole (cover it with a rag first)? If so, you are too rich. If not, put it back on and see if you can turn it over by hand. If it turns over by hand, but not on the box, your box is beat.

You could also check with the retailer you bought it from. He might be able to help. These engines are very tight when new, and make great power. Breaking it in will take a little time. What fuel are you using?
Old 07-01-2002, 01:14 AM
FT RC10GT

Default OS Engine Trouble

I am using Trinity 20% platinum. It won't turn over at all. It did turn over once and we did not have the glow plug in. It did spew out fuel then. But that was the only time we got it to turn over. Tips and help are greatly appreciated! I just can't get it to turn over!
Thanks
Old 07-01-2002, 06:16 AM
FlyinRazorback
My Feedback: (8)

Did the engine ever turn over? If so, what were you doing when it did stop? Sounds like hydrolock to me.
Old 07-01-2002, 11:02 AM
Elwood

Take the plug out again and see if there is a lot of fuel in there. Be careful of fuel spray. If not, then take the back plate off and see if there is a lot of oil built up inside, and also to check if you bent the con rod.

Sometimes, a really tight engine will get locked with the piston at the top. Always stop an engine with the piston down and free. Is the piston at the top of its stroke? If so, you may have to heat the engine in you oven at 250f for 10 minutes, then (with oven mitts on!) try to turn it. This may help to loosen it up a little.
Old 07-01-2002, 11:24 AM
FT RC10GT

Default OS TROUBLE

What is Hydrolock? I believe the piston is at the top of its stroke. Please keep the help coming. I am at a loss on what to do. My Dad said that I may try to put some oil down the cylinder head. Would that be O.K.? Who can I contact regarding this problem?

Thanks
Old 07-01-2002, 03:09 PM
FT RC10GT

What about putting motor oil in the head? My uncle said that that might help. Is that alright to do. Please reply and give me some help!
Thanks
Old 07-01-2002, 04:45 PM
Elwood

Use a thin oil like WD-40, but better yet, use some fuel. It has oil in it, and the alcohol it is mixed in will help it seep into the engine.

If it is stuck at the top, your best bet is to remove it from the truck, and put it in the oven. Take the carb and backplate off first. Bake it at 250 F for 10 to 15 minutes. This will cause the engine's case to expand, letting the piston move more freely. The piston is a high silicone aluminum, so it will expand less than regular aluminum.
Old 07-02-2002, 12:39 AM
glennnn

does it have a pull start? sounds like your using yer bump box. but reason I'm asking is of you pulled the pull start out and put a cover on it did you pull the bolt out connecting it to the pull start? if you did then you pulled out the crack shaft
Old 07-02-2002, 11:14 AM
FT RC10GT

Default It finally turned over

Its a non pull start. After putting in just a drop af oil with a little fuel we got it to turn over just briefly. It is now just tight and we know that it is not locked up. My 1/10 Scale Starter Box is having trouble with it though. I have an 1/8 Scale Ofna on the way that should turn it. So for now we are goin to wait until it comes in because more than likely I'll burn up those motors in the 1/10 scale box and we won't be able to run our other cars. But it did turn over Thanks! I'll keep yall posted! If yall have any break in tips I'd appreciate it. Hopefully the box will come in soon and I can start the break in process!
Thanks Again!!!
Old 07-02-2002, 11:15 AM
FT RC10GT

Thanks a whole bunch Elwood!!!
Old 07-02-2002, 06:27 PM
Elwood

No problem! Just be careful not to flood it. With a powerful starter box and a flooded engine, the con rod can bent.

Have fun! But you still aren't going to beat my NovaRossi powered GT!!!
Old 07-02-2002, 07:44 PM
FT RC10GT

What kind of Novarossi do you have? I've seen just about everything. Let me know! Also do you have any break in tips? The only time I am going to use the 1/8 Scale box is to break it in. How do I make sure that it does not get flooded during the starting process? What is a good rule of thumb? I look forward to getting it broke in so I can kick some ***** at my LHS and race track. Keeps the help comin! Thanks Again!
Old 07-03-2002, 02:01 AM
Elwood

I have the CX12 w/pullstart. Nice little engine, great power.

Just follow the directions, and use fuel with 20% oil, 20% nitro. Add extra castor oil if needed. Trinity has a break in fuel that should work great.

When you are ready to race, you may be better off with a higher oil content fuel, around 18%. I have raced with O'Donnell with 12% oil, and it had too much power to compete properly since it was a short, narrow track. The extra oil could have slowed it down a bit, or a carb restrictor.

You will have great power with your OS. There will always be a Ford vs Chevy thing in RC about anything!