Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Panel lines

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Panel lines

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 12:11 PM
Gazzer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panel lines

Folks,

Sorry if this is naive, I guess if its been done to death someone will point me to the right threads!!!

I just wondered what methods are favourite for making panel lines on wings? I have just bought an AFS BVM T-33 and want to make a tidy job of finishing the wings to make it look half decent. I am not intending it to have an aluminium finish but the white and red "training" school finish.

I'd be grateful for your thoughts,

Gazzer
Old 05-09-2004, 01:49 PM
weasel33

Default RE: Panel lines

You could go to your local art shop and get a fine lining pen
works quite well

brian
Old 05-09-2004, 02:24 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If you want 3d panel lines, then get some 1/64 and 1/32 chartpack tape. After initial priming is done (I use PPG K-36 primer), tape out the panel lines with the chartpak, then shoot a few coats of K-36 primer over the tape with an airbrush, right over the tape. When it is thoroughly dry, then sand the primer flush with the tape, using a small hardwood sanding block (you want to sand it very level for best results). Careful pull the tape off (pulling back over itself so as to not chip the primer) and clean the adhesive residue out of the line with some acetone.

After basecoat paint I highlight the lines with a relatively soft .5 mm pencil.

If you want 2 d lines, lay down 1/4 inch 3m fineline masking tape as a guide and draw the lines on with the same pencil. You will want to do this AFTER you have cleaned the plane for clearcoat, so you have to handle the plane with rubber gloves on. I do not like the inks as the line always looks too dark for my taste. The clear will tend to darken the appearance of the pencil lines BTW.

Good luck.
Old 05-09-2004, 02:31 PM
Oosiksmith
My Feedback: (1)

Mr_matt,

What type of clearcoat do you use over your pencil drawn panel lines?
Old 05-09-2004, 03:38 PM
mr_matt

PPG 2021 or 2010 for gloss, PPG 2060 for flat. All use the same catalysts and reducers, and can be mixed to produce different levels of sheen as desired.

As I said the only problem with this process is that it is very hard to clean the plane prior to clearcoating without taking off the pencil lines. If you use windex it is not so bad. I prefer to clean the plane then line it but you have to handle the plane extremely carefully.
Old 05-10-2004, 03:49 PM
tahfiet

Hi Gazzer!

It always depends on the panel-lines on the full-size. On the fuse of my Hellcat I used the filler-method, because the panels on the full-size lay on each other. If they are next to each-other with a tiny gap betwenn, I always "cut" them with a triangular file. I do that on the primer. After Painting with base-coat, I use a solder-iron with a brass-tube to make the rivets. The last thing is the weathering. I use a special 3M-control-pouder (from car-painter) and artist-crayon (??? my english ain't good ). After putting it on the panel-lines and rivets I use scotch-pads 3000 grade. Have a look at the pictures....

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49341.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	130949   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69165.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	130950   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41408.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	130951  
Old 05-10-2004, 03:59 PM
Gazzer

Guys,

Many thanks that is 3 different ways and all different!!!

What I think I will need to do is have the bottle to get an old wing from somewhere cover and practice using the 3 different techniques.

I had heard of the tape method before and to me it is my favourite at this time because I guess you should be able to see what the panel lines will look like prior to laying down the first layer of primer. That way you should be more happy with the result.

David, Deine Englisch ist viel besser dan meine Deutsshe, und sie haben ein wenig spass mit der worte auf der bild!!!

Thanks for the thoughts, I will no doubt post some piccies when I have my first go!!

Cheers,

Gazzer
Old 05-11-2004, 07:23 PM
jedijingle
My Feedback: (45)

where do you get your tape from? TIA
Old 05-11-2004, 07:26 PM
mr_matt

ORIGINAL: jedijingle

where do you get your tape from? TIA
My wife gets it for me (she is the hobby purchasing agent!). I will get the address when I get home