Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Glider tow

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 01:53 AM
corsair01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glider tow

I have a 80 inch Cap and would like to tow gliders with it. Does anybody has any advice or pictures about how to do this ?
Old 06-02-2004, 06:03 AM
narpets

Default RE: Glider tow

NOt sure if a Cap would be the best tug. We used an old Kadet. Put an eye bolt at the TE of the wing. Do NOT place the tow line on the tail The tow line was threaded through the eye bolt, and went to a Vortex bomb release. This way we could release the line if needed.

On the glider I made a simple releas using small eye bolts and some cable. Put 2 eye bolts about 1/4" appart on the nose. Then take the cable, and hook one end to a servo. The other end goes through the eyebolts. When the servo is moved to the other extreame the cable should clear the eyebolts. I belive Hobby Lobby sells a glider release.

For a tow line we used about 50 foot of strong kite string with about 2 to 3 foot of bungie to take up any slack.

One the glider side I had a key ring tied to the bungie. Slip the ring between the 2 eye bolts on the nose of the glider, and move the servo so the cable captures the ring. When moving the servo to pull the cable the ring will be released, in turn releasing the glider.

For take off I made a dolly out of some music wire and old A/C wheels. Just set the glider n the dolly with no slack in the line.

When flying communication between pilots is essential. When my buddy would call a right turn I would put a very small amount of left into the glider. THis will keep the slack out of the line, and the tug will pull the glider around.

Also the tug can't climb too steep. Once my buddy was climbing a bit too steep. I felt the controls of the glider get real mushy, and just as I was telling him about it, the glider stalled, and was hanging upside down right below the tug. Luckly we had enough altitude so I released and recoverd just fine. A nice steady climb with shallow turns is best.

You also want a tug that is fairly large. When towing a 2 meter glider to altitude a small tug can very easily get too small. A Kadet Sr is just about perfect for a 2 meter glider.

LEt us know how it goes.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:48 AM
Kaos Rulz

Default RE: Glider tow

corsair01

narpets has good info for you and is right on the money. The only thing I might add is that I like to control the tug aircraft with the trim tabs. Makes for very smooth and gentle control without worry of over controlling.