Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

so what now?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 02:43 PM
Shard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so what now?

Ok.. so I think I got this whole hovering thing down pretty good but now I want to move on with my training and would like to get your help on what to do next? I've already tried some FF but it's a bit boring to go out and just bring it back tail-in. I was thinking about circuits but I wanted to find out what is the best way to start with those? (i.e. do I turn by rudder+forward or what's the best way?)

Thanks for your help
Shard
Old 06-12-2004, 12:25 AM
Jerrykl720

Default RE: so what now?

Hi shard
Check at this site, it will tell u everything that u need to fly a chopper.
http://www.helifever.com/basic/index.cfm

Jerry
Old 06-12-2004, 07:23 AM
lawnhawk

Shard,
Master your nose-in hover next. That should have been the 2nd thing I did now I'm regretting it. Like learning to fly all over again []
Old 06-12-2004, 10:09 AM
jbalat

I found the next step is to get the hang of using your rudder. The rudder is can get you out of trouble and is a must for any FF. Just Try going forward, rudder right and flying forward a bit so you are side on, then 180deg rudder left and forward a bit etc. so you dont point towards yourself as this is very tricky.

Then try to do some full 360 degree rudder turns. If you do them quickly the heli wont move too far from its initial position. You may have to power up a bit since the heli tends to drop.

Believe me when I say that this starts to break down a lot of fear and builds the confidence you need for circuit flying.

P.S You need to do this in a big back yard or park on a still day since you dont need to complicate matters by trying to dodge things as well...

Good luck.
Old 06-12-2004, 11:35 AM
justin_92_92
My Feedback: (2)

when i try to spin the tail really fast around to spin I dropp altiitude fast....wonder how come?
Old 06-12-2004, 01:43 PM
FlyingFish
My Feedback: (17)

Well, I'm Great at Hovering, But still learning the Circuit thing! I practice circuit flying on my Realflight R/C Simulator and have Got myself to do Expert Flying Manuvers (On Flight Sim only) But outside I'm still shakey and Nervious with my model. I know I can Do a Complete circuit with my model because I've done it Twice, But Im so afraid of Breaking it, and that fear is blocking my practice. On Flight Sim Im fine because theirs no risk and I'm more relaxed! But anyway here's 2 ways I've Tried. Method one, I call it THE FLAT TURN: Estabilish a steady Hover First, Then slowly give a small amount of Forward Cyclic, so that the Helicopter is sill hovering level, But moving Forward slowly, about 2mph. While your Heli is moving Forward slowly, Give your heli Right rudder, until it comes around in a complete circle. How Wide of a Circle depends on how much rudder you give it. Less Rudder the wider the circle. But if you keep the heli Level and moving forward Slow (2-3mph) You shouldn't get into to much trouble.
The Second Method I tried was BANK AND TURN: You simply do the same thing as the FLAT TURN Method, but You give it More Forward Speed and bank your helicopter in the turns to a 30 or 40 degree angle, I dont like using that method to much because things happen real fast and sometimes you can't think or react fast enough. The Helicopter Builds up more Forward speed with the BANK & TURN method.

P.S. In answer to your Question JUSTIN_92_92, If you spin your Helicopter in the same Direction as your rotor blades spin, Your Helicopter will drop altitude because you are slowing down the rotor blades, Were as Spining your Heli in the opposite direction of your blade rotation should hold the heli altitude steady or perhaps increase your altitude.
Old 06-12-2004, 02:32 PM
Shard

Thanks alot for the suggestions... I've tried nose-in flying but I get really stressed out and want to try other things in-between nose-in "hair pulling"! I have already been doing some turns (in hover) 360s and 720s and trying to induce sharp banks and praciticing recovery... I guess I'll try flyingfish's circuit method and see how that goes.
Thanks!