Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

CA Hinges, how long do they last?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

CA Hinges, how long do they last?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 07:28 AM
dshepard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA Hinges, how long do they last?

I am getting ready to finish an Ultra Stik with Quad Flaps and the instructions call for using CA hinges. Do these last very long? Intuitively it would seem after a time they would break.

Any comments?

Thanks,

Derek Shepard
Old 06-29-2004, 07:57 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: CA Hinges, how long do they last?

I have used them for 18 years or more and have never had one fail. I use the Sig Easy Hinges exclusively.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:56 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've used many brands of CA hinges and never had a failure. At least two of my planes are over 10 years old.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:27 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the other hand had some fail after only 12 flights. Others have lasted several years. IMO pinned hinges last longer.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:34 AM
dshepard

Thanks all, looks like I will proceed with the CA hinges, they do like they are easy to use.

Derek
Old 06-29-2004, 10:23 AM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

To help insure success, drill a small hole in each hinge slot to help the THIN CA wick in. Also use a grease pen or crayon to draw a line on each side of the hinge where it will flex to keep CA away from this part and avoid it becoming brittle.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:22 PM
narpets

Depends on the brand. Myself and others have had Great Pains CA hinges delaminate in a few moths. The thin, clear plastic piece pulls out leaving the fibers in the plane. I have some Sig CA hings in a plane that iss well over 10 years old, and they are still fine. I've also had some SonicTronic hinges in planes about this old too with no problems. I only use Sig and Sonic Tronic now.

I have also seen seom hinges break at the hing line. I personally think this is traced to using too much thin CA ( Don't use med or thick) The extra cured CA cracks and it is like tiny serated blades on the hing. At least that's what I saw on one guys when I looked at the broken piece with a magnifying glass.

Using the CA sparingly ( but not too sparlingly ) , using a good brand, and the tips Gary mentioned above, you will probably destoy the control surface before you break or pull out the hinge.

A few tips:
If the hinge has square corners, clip them off with a pair of nail clippers. Makes it easier to insert into the slot.
On that crayon line Gary had you make, insert a T-pin or 2 to keep the hinge centered easier.
Pick a color of the crayon to match the color of the plane at that area.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:56 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

CA hinges last forever for me, since I won't use 'em. They're the first thing that gets pitched when I open a kit box, closely followed by the supplied junk hardware (usually) that comes with most kits. I prefer sewn fabric hinges, with pinned hinges a second choice. I also toothpick any glued-in hinges. I CA from the toothpick hole, insert the pick, and wick in another drop of CA down the pick.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:52 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Mine failed at 190 flights over a 6 month period
Old 07-02-2004, 09:53 PM
BobbyRichardson

Most any brand outlast my planes...
Old 07-06-2004, 07:04 PM
Frankenthumb
My Feedback: (2)

Mine have always lasted until the end.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:24 PM
Sport_Pilot

The extra cured CA cracks and it is like tiny serated blades on the hing.
I used them on a Great Planes Fokker DR-1 which as a full flying rudder. When the rudder fell off it spun in. I was trying to do flat rudder turns which required full rudder deflection at near full power just prior to that. On examining them closely the top edge of the hinge was streched. They tore off !

Never had trouble before, except maybe a single broken aileron hinge. If they fail with too much CA and fail with too little CA, well sounds like too much margin for error to me. I will not be using CA hinges for critical surfaces again!
Old 07-08-2004, 10:03 AM
SALMONBUG
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a discussion (via email) with my fellow Bruce Tharpe ( No I am not a name Placer, lol)
I was considering placing sig easy hinges on my super reaper ( jet powered delta canard). He said that in his opinion, the easy hinges (sig blend) are virtualy indestructible when placed correctly.