Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Aerohawk, annoyingly loose skids

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Aerohawk, annoyingly loose skids

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 12:27 PM
joshiestevens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerohawk, annoyingly loose skids

Hi guys. I must have gone through about 6 battery packs now and I am getting the hang of hovering - tip (when it is on the ground stop the tail rotor from spinning and higher the throttle, and it will lift of the ground to about 4 feet, and when it is 4 feet, let the tail rotor spin again, and you will just about be balancing in the air.

Anyway back to my point. After a few battery packs, the skids have come really loose, and I cannot fly for more than about 5 seconds befor 2 or 3 of the skids vibrate out. It is as if the holes in the helicopter have become larger so the rods slide in and out easily. Why has this happened, and do you have any tips to fix it.

Also, one of my main blades, even if you try and tighten it a lot, it is still loose and can be moved around very easily., whulst thwe other blade is OK. ??

Josh
Old 07-10-2004, 12:38 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Aerohawk, annoyingly loose skids

Hot Glue the skids in place. Hot Glue stays flexible.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:00 PM
joshiestevens

Do you mean using a glue gun. I am a beginner and still crash the heli quite hard sometimes, so I dont want the rods to snap?
Old 07-10-2004, 06:31 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Piccolo had the landing gear struts CAed in place. CA makes for brittle joints that transfer shocks to the rest of the frame or break on impacts. Now I use Hot Glue (yes, from a hot glue gun) and it makes for much more flexible joints.
My oldest brother took it a step further. He used some music wire to make replacement landing gear, in the shape of an upside down U

Here's a pic. This makes for VERY good landing gear. It absorbs impacts, disapating the energy bending the wire rather than breaking the frame. You can use your hands to bend the wire back and get flying within seconds after a bad crash.
[link=http://www.vinceherman.net/rc/LG.jpg]Pic of DIY Landing Gear[/link]
Old 07-11-2004, 04:59 AM
SMaric

If you're careful you can get the Triangular inserts (Part 49) out of the main body, using some CA solvent & a small screwdriver

Then you can slot your new bent struts in & re-glue Part 49 back in

Take a look
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59738.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	152475  
Old 07-11-2004, 04:11 PM
joshiestevens

I am using a traiing gear at the moment, and I dont tnk I want to start making parts. If I just hot glue the landing gear into place on the body, will that be ok. I actuall got some Blue-tack and shoved it in the holes, and it held the gear in plae for a while. Are there any other ways like maybe using rubber bands or soething to hold them in in the air, but if I crash hard, they will come out.

Also, why do they come out so easily? Why are they designed so the hole widens easily?
Josh
Old 07-11-2004, 05:25 PM
SMaric

As VinceHerman says Hot-Glue will be fine

I replaced my struts because the constant thumping caused the CF rods to fracture/split along their length (No problems with the landing skids themselves)

I've made my struts longer which gives me a wider base (Heli doesn't tip over quite so easily) & a Taller structure (gives the Tail more ground clearance), seems to work fine

Which end of the struts are you saying has the widening hole ??

If it is at the main body end then maybe the Triangular (Part 49) pieces are actually working their way out of the bodywork
If so you can dig them out with some CA Solvent & a small screwdriver - the clean them up & re-glue them back in place
Old 07-12-2004, 03:37 AM
Dj Kriz

Better than CA,

Use silicon that you would use for house renovation.
Like for sealing windows, roofs, garages, veranda's (pergola's)

Get it from your local hardware store or as us Aussies say.... Bunnings

Just remember when you use it, it does go everywhere and dont underestimate my theory!

But it good adhesive and very flexible but might be hard to get off if you ever had to reapply
Old 07-12-2004, 01:01 PM
DCRC

Josh I have exactly the same problem[]. I also have an aerohawk currently fitted with trainers, and I have determined that the reason that this happens is because the training gear slightly bends in the landing struts. Coupled with the fact that the trainers add some extra weight, and vibration, the holes eventually enlarge. Hot glue is the best solution I have found so far. Good luck!!!
Old 07-12-2004, 02:05 PM
joshiestevens

2 ways to fix it. 1 - use a rubber band, and tie it around the back to skids, and attatch it to the heli, or get some blue-tac, and stuff it in the holes. Both of this work. Josh