Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Backyard Hobbies Warning

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Backyard Hobbies Warning

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 12:41 AM
ncrego
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backyard Hobbies Warning

I wanted to post a warning message about BackYard Hobbies. 3 weeks ago (6/16/04) I placed an order with them for parts for my Zoom Helicopter. The package arrives 2 days later, with 2 of the 5 items circled on the receipt, and written "Backordered, next week". Of course, my card was charged, and they were listed as in stock when I ordered. Mildly perturbed, I waited.

Next Monday (6/22/04)I place another order for more parts, paid for Priority mail shipping. Thursday they still aren't here, so I order them from Flying Hobby in Hong Kong, since I am down, and Backyard isn't answering my emails or their phone. This last Monday 6/28/04 (4 days after the Flying Hobby order was placed) I get my parts from the other side of the world in perfect shape, still no packge from Backyard (located in FL). I call, and get Rusty, I am told that the parts I placed an order for the previous Monday were on backorder, and that the parts from the Monday before are still on back order (2 weeks now). Of course, they have my money, since my card was charged as soon as the order was placed, and the parts were listed in on their site. So now, they are holding $83.50 of my money, and not shipping any product, all the while not answering any of my 5 emails. I'm friendly, and tell Rusty that I'd be happy if he shipped what he did have, and refund my money on the rest of it. He tells me sure, he'll send the item he has (a crystal) the same day, and refund me for the parts that he doesn't have ($71.25).

Friday morning 7/2/04 I still have no package, and no refund. I call, and get no answer, what a surprise. I'm not bothering with emails anymore, since he obviously just ignores them. I leave a message on his voice mail asking where the crystal he was shipping is, and why I haven't seen the refund. I say that I've been more than patient, he's had my money for 3 weeks now, and I have no product, despite him telling me that he's sending it out, and no refund on the other products. I tell him that on Wednesday 7/7/04 if I don't have the package and the refund, I will file with my credit card and have the charges reversed.

He has my work, home, and cell numbers, it's been 3 days, and still no word. I have a feeling that I will be getting the refund through my Credit Card company. It's really disappointing to be let down by a vendor. I feel that we are a small community, and we need to support each other, since there are not a lot of us around, and businesses like this take advantage of us modelers. Well, Rusty has seen the last of my money, and I will tell everyone I can about it. It's pretty sad when an order from Hong Kong (8500 miles straight line) beats an order from Florida (1100 miles).
Old 07-05-2004, 05:22 PM
jbondg

Default RE: Backyard Hobbies Warning

I had trouble with them to. They sent an orderwhich included things I didn't want. Finally had to contact my CC company to get my money back.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:33 AM
ncrego
My Feedback: (40)

Default RE: Backyard Hobbies Warning

In the end, I did receive exactly what Rusty promised. And, if you were to do a search on this and other forums, I've posted before that I had talked to Rusty before and he was very friendly, and accomodating. It seems that a lot of this is just due to bad timing on everyones part. I'm not saying that Rusty should go away, quite the contrary. What I am saying is that reply times weren't what they should be.

I ordered products that were listed in stock, and didn't get them. I never got an email saying that they were out of stock. I never got a phone call. It seems odd that I would have been sent an automated email and never gotten it telling me that the parts were out (Multiple times) but things happen. I also know how long refunds take, etc, as I run a business, but in the end, I have never gotten a single email reply, despite multiple emails. I don't hold Rusty personally responsible, but someone is, and I'm not the guy who can be blamed for lack of email communication.

I don't wish them any ill will, I think Rusty seems like a good guy, and I wish him luck. I know from being in business that sometimes orders go wrong, and everything aligns against you making a customer happy. When I deal with a company, I try to keep in mind how I feel in the same situation, and I only make a post like the one above when I think it's gone beyond bad luck. I know about low margins etc, as my business is one that is the lowest margin around, so I do feel for Rusty. Hopefully others don't have the same experience as me.