Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Yet another newbie requesting some purchasing advice

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Yet another newbie requesting some purchasing advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 09:17 PM
DennisVR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another newbie requesting some purchasing advice

I'm in the market for an Electric Helicopter.

At first I wanted one of those micro helicopters to hover a bit around my living room. So i looked at helis like Piccolo and those from SmarTech. But then I saw a video of a Electric Raptor and i was in total awe of the stability. But I have to stay realistic and will probably do better with a more beginner oriented model. So I narrowed it down to following models:

- LHM Corona 120: Not too small, so should be quite stable and is very robust, but is Fixed Pitch
- 400 Zoom: Smaller heli, but is reported as very stable for it's size and has Collective Pitch. Is it fragile ?
- Lego 10: Probably the best of the 3, but i think i need to get some experience with lighter models first before i can handle this beauty.

I'm looking for a heli which can be used both indoors and outdoors, something that can resist the "handling" of a beginner. Stability is also something i'm looking for in a heli.

Thanks for the advice
Old 07-24-2004, 07:52 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Yet another newbie requesting some purchasing advice

Hi DennisVR,
If you are looking to fly in your living room, you are pretty much limited to the FP micro helis like the Piccolo or Hummingbird (both models that I recommend) These can only be used outdoor on very calm days. They take a lot of abuse. They are far from stable.
The bigger birds are certainly more stable. The CP birds, set up properly, are more stable. But these have higher head speed and more rotor inertia, making indoor flight a risky thing to do. Great for bigger areas like gymnasiums and suck. Much better than the FP micros outdoors. Just not good living room candidates.
Vince
Old 07-24-2004, 08:56 AM
DennisVR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Yet another newbie requesting some purchasing advice

Thanks Vince!

I went to a R/C Model shop today, unfortunately it was closed But I got a look at some models through the window. They are a lot bigger than i thought they would be, if i plan on using it indoor as well i definitely need to look at a Piccolo or hummingbird, a Logo 10 for example would probably mess up my apartment pretty bad, hehe. They had a Piccolo Pro there as well, it looked like it was a Collective Pitch, but i could be totally wrong.

I usually have the tendency to jump on a hobby and loose interest after a while. So I really don't want to buy a full fledged semi-pro model before I'm sure this will be my kind of thing. And I feel that I have to deserve it first