Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Carden, Aeroworks, Lanier, etc...???

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Carden, Aeroworks, Lanier, etc...???

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2002, 04:41 AM
EMB145CA
My Feedback: (242)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carden, Aeroworks, Lanier, etc...???

Hi guys,

Thinking about getting into 35% or 40% and wondering who makes the highest quality plane with the best 3D performance capabilities.

I understand Carden is the "caddy" of kits, but what makes it so good? I hear both good and bad about Aeroworks. Lanier....same thing, both good and bad.

I need the official scoop as I am getting ready to purchase a RTF bird and want to make the correct / most informed $3000 decision.

Thanks,

Jon
[email protected]
Old 07-21-2002, 11:08 AM
owen maupin

Default Carden - AeroWorks - Leneir

Hey Jon,

Go Carden!!!!!!!!! I have an AeroWorks 29% which was a kit. We made big modes to the plane and it flys very well. However, when you get into the bigger birds the strength yet light weight of the Carden just can't be beat!! A friend of mine had an AeroWorks Extra 37%. He paid AeroWorks to build the fuse. The plane lasted about 2 dozen flights and folded in the middle. They butt jointed the fuse joints all even with each other. The plane folded in level flight at Joe Nall last year and flew into a tree destroying everything. They wouldn't do a damn thing about it either. All that aside, Carden builds a much better kit. They have made just enough modes to the plane to make it fly the best yet stay within IMAC specs. The Carden fuse is totally sheeted. You really have a solid plane when your through. The guy that built my Edge is building 3 Carden Edges now. Well, good luck with your project.

Owen
Old 07-21-2002, 12:12 PM
Giant Scale

Jon,
I guess your budget and your building skills plays a big part in the final outcome of your project. Of the kits you've mentioned the Carden has the lion share of loyal giant scale followers. Many of the top names in this sport use Carden aircraft. But even with the best kit quality if you lack the proper skill to assemble the plane it won't perform correctly no matter how the kit is engineered. If I had plenty of money to spend say 10-12K, I'd probably go with a Carden kit assembled by a professional builder. I'd go with top of the line JR or Futaba equipment and add an engine from Desert Aircraft or 3W. If you are interested, Bill Hemple makes a 50% edge ready to fly with engine for 13,700. This is a TOC quality plane. Can you see where I am going here.. it all depends on what you are trying to do. Can you get a GS plane in the air for 3K..probably but you won't get top of the line. You figure a Carden kit will run you $1000, the engine $1500,servo's another $400-900, plus you need radio,hardware,covering..etc. This also doesn't figure in your time or having someone build the plane for you. You could probably get into a 35% lanier kit for $300,engine $600, servo's $400-500,plus radio,hardware,.etc for under 3K. Are the Lanier kits on par with Carden probably not but you've got to start somewhere. You said you are going to purchase a RTF bird for 3K, is this a previously owned aircraft? Radiocraft makes a 40% ARF for 2k, but you still need engine,radio and servos. My philosophy is that this is your hobby spend what it takes to get the project done. I've got a 50% Cap 232 kit waiting to be assembled, I've got $1100 into the kit, the engine and prop were $2100. I have not purchase any servo's,covering,hardware,wood..etc. So how much will it cost to get the plane in the air?? It might cost another 2-3K but my point is I wanted the plane now I've got to spend whatever it takes to finish it. I'm not wealthy but I work hard and enjoy my toys! So get your money together and get the best darn giantscale plane you can afford. Have fun!!
Old 07-24-2002, 02:15 AM
Yellow Jacket
My Feedback: (6)

AW is generally lighter and better for 3D. I love my AW 37% Extra (also built by AW and 150+flights). I've never flown a carden though. I think you'd be happy with either as both have their strong points.

-Eli