Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

2 receiver charge problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 09:58 PM
b-mccor8
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 receiver charge problem

Chip,
I have installed your 2 receiver setup in a plane of mine and so far I think it works awesome the only question I have is when I go to charge the receiver batteries it won't until I unplug the jumper that runs between the two receivers. Do I have to always disconnect the jumper when I want to charge the receiver batteries? or is there something I have wrong>? I am using a futaba 9ca pcm. Thanks, brenden
Old 07-29-2004, 05:12 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: 2 receiver charge problem

Do you have switches for both packs?
If so, you should only have to turn the switch off and charge through the charge lead of the switch.

What switch are you using?
Old 07-29-2004, 10:58 AM
Blow n Go

Something has to be hooked up wrong.

Make sure each battery goes to it's respective switch, and then to the respective recievers. The third wire off the switch is the charging wire and should lead to the charging jack - (unless the charge jack is built into the switch, in which case there is no third wire.) With the switches off, the batteries will charge. If they won't charge with the switches off, then you have reversed the two male plugs coming off the switch.......swap them and it should work.

By the way.....the jumper everyone is talking about is NOT the third wire coming off the switch! it is a completely separate and isolated wire that has a male connector at each end. It will only have two wires, usually red and black.......or brown and red if you are using a JR style jumper. I suspect you have connected the charging wire to the reciever......it should go to the charging jack.

Good luck, CJ
Old 07-29-2004, 03:56 PM
b-mccor8

I am using 2 seperate switchs from electro-dynamics. They are all run seperatly. 1 battery to 1 receiver with 1 switch times two. the switches have integrated charge jacks. here is the issue maybe I should clarify. I am using two nimh 2700 mah batterys. I am charging with a accu-cycle ELITE. It will not let me charge the batterys with that jumper in there. It brings up a error message. Should I just use a standard non peak adjutable charger? Thanks for the quick replys and any help is greatly appreciated. Yes the jumper is two wires two male ends. I tested the sytem with the jumper in there and it does work properly. I have the jumper ran in the 9 sockets of the pcm reeiver. Should i move the location?
Old 07-29-2004, 05:11 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I am going to assume you are using the charge jack. THe negative wire at the bottom and the switch installed right side up.

If all of this is true, then you are not getting a good connection at the charge jack. I am using three of the MPI jacks with my Cap with this same charger and I don't have any problems with the connection if I make sure it is seated.

ORIGINAL: b-mccor8

I am using 2 seperate switchs from electro-dynamics. They are all run seperatly. 1 battery to 1 receiver with 1 switch times two. the switches have integrated charge jacks. here is the issue maybe I should clarify. I am using two nimh 2700 mah batterys. I am charging with a accu-cycle ELITE. It will not let me charge the batterys with that jumper in there. It brings up a error message. Should I just use a standard non peak adjutable charger? Thanks for the quick replys and any help is greatly appreciated. Yes the jumper is two wires two male ends. I tested the sytem with the jumper in there and it does work properly. I have the jumper ran in the 9 sockets of the pcm reeiver. Should i move the location?
Old 07-29-2004, 09:50 PM
Blow n Go

I have to concur. With BOTH switches off, the recievers should be entirely removed from the battery circuit, including the charger........so the jumper couldn't make a difference. Note I say both switches off.......if you leave one switch on, then it could make the jumper a factor.

Now that I think about it......the ground leads are common for both chargers with the jumper connected, regardless of switch position. I guess it's possible that that charger is using the positive lead as the base reference and is trying to regulate the negative lead during charging.........only the other charging jack is attempting the exact same thing with the same negative lead.........so they're fighting each other.

Try different chargers and see if the results are the same. Use chargers without any electronic controls - like the cheap ones that come with the radio. Let us know how it goes!!

CJ
Old 07-29-2004, 10:45 PM
b-mccor8

ok here this goes. I moved the jumper from the spot I had it in which was actaully the dsc slot, and put it in channel 8 spot. I tried 2 more times to charge both batteries first time no go, second time it peaked both batteries. Do you think I can trust this????? the other question I have is I am using a 9c futaba radio pcm receiver do I have to turn off (null) the channel 8 so it is not assigned a switch or knob position.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:14 AM
Blow n Go

Use a voltage check that puts a load on the battery. If the voltage is good, then you're good.

If your jumper only has a red and black wire, then don't worry about having it in ch8. The red and black wires go directly to the reciever power bus.....which is common to every socket. Don't use a jumper that also has a white wire, as the recievers will then try to feed a signal to each other.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:50 AM
Tony Fandino
My Feedback: (8)

Ok guy's here is your solution, Fist of all all chargers are not created equal . With that being said i have expirenced that when two bat. packs have the same ground or neg some chargers cannot deal with that. the packs must be totaly isolated to charge. This has to do with the charger design. The ace digipace 3 is one of these problematic chargers if you connect a common neg between any of the six outputs the charger freeks and goes to max current output while appearing to work. Recently I purchased a litco alpha 4 and the design of this charger has a common neg and works propperly on my plane . Before when using the digipace i would have to disconnect the bat from the switch to charge correctly. Most switces only turn on the pos. lead and leave the neg connected this is why it only works with the jumper removed.(common neg) I think the easiest way to tell if your charger will work with a common neg. is to meter the neg terminals of the charger in question with the power off to see if there is any continuity. If you find that your charger uses a common neg it probably will work. If you find the negitve terminals are isolated then probably the charger won't work or you will have two diconnect one bat. to charge both.

hope this helps
Tony Fandino
the Imac adventures of tony and gerry

http://tonyandgerry.com
Old 07-30-2004, 07:49 PM
b-mccor8

Thanks for everyones help. brenden