Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Aeroworks 27% Ultimate too heavy???

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Aeroworks 27% Ultimate too heavy???

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 12:20 PM
Iflyit
My Feedback: (512)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aeroworks 27% Ultimate too heavy???

I picked up a used Aeroworks 27% ultimate with a DA 50 on it. I have Hitec 5625 servos everywhere and a 3000mah main pack and a 1400 backup pack with a jomar Battery backer. It has never been crashed, but the firewall was beefed up a little bit but not 4 pounds worth .
My weight with no fuel is 17.5 pounds [:-] so im going to be close to if not over 18 pounds ready to fly, I dont think the 50 will 3d one that heavy will it? Im going to test fly it tomorrow. I really dont know what all the extra weight is from, the wings alone with struts weigh almost 4 1/4 pounds.

What is everyones setup and weight coming out at?
Old 08-14-2004, 01:37 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Aeroworks 27% Ultimate too heavy???

Oh, a DA50 will 3D an over 20lb plane, so dont worry about that... I flew a 27% Ultimate with a brison 50cc on it and it was awesome, very fun plane!! wish they were cheaper!
Old 08-14-2004, 08:01 PM
jmiracle
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aeroworks 27% Ultimate too heavy???

i've got the AW 27% as well and initially had the same problem....mine weighed in at 17lbs flat at first. Spent some time with Rocco going through the plane to get the weight down. My problem ended up being the battery system. I had 2 2100mah nimh's for radio and a 2100mah on ign, along with some c-volts from I4C, plus a custom mounting plate for everything.
By removing 1 pack and the extra "goodies" I cut 1.5lb out of the plane.
It's now at 16lbs after I re-installed a radio batt. and flies awesome.

Believe me....go through every single component and eliminate ANYTHING that's not ABSOLUTELY necessary to make the plane fly and you'll see the weight quickly drop off. 1oz extra here and there on different components QUICKLY adds up.

Even if you don't get the weight down, it will fly great....don't sweat it too much unless you're going for all-out 3D performance.