Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Mis-aligned elevators and dual servos - how to fix it? HELP

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Mis-aligned elevators and dual servos - how to fix it? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 07:11 AM
Ken Bryant
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mis-aligned elevators and dual servos - how to fix it? HELP

I have a servo controling each elevator half. What I am experencing is that while at center stick they are equally lined up. When I go to one extreme or the other they are misaligned.

Meaning, at full aft stick the right elevator is lower than the left and at full forward stick the left elevator is lower. The seperation is about 1/4 inch between the two sides.

My question is how do I get it so these are better align in the extremes?

My equipment is Futaba 9Z WC 2 radio
Hitec 425bb servos on the elevators.
I am presently running the elevator servos through a Y cord. I am considering running them on seperate channels if I need to.

HELP!
Old 08-30-2004, 08:41 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Mis-aligned elevators and dual servos - how to fix it? HELP

More likely than not you'll need to use two channels and mix (ailevator) to solve your problem.

A couple things that typically cause uneven throw are:

The servo in of itself, the 425 is an inexpensive sport servo and has design tolerances. The tolerances be it mechanical or electronic will allow the servo to center and move to extremes slightly different than another.

The mechanical linkage setup may not identical, control arm pivot points can be moved up or down to adjust throw to match one side or the other. Ideally either side is the setup exactly the same and both servos move in exactly the same travel arc, BUT like I mentioned ideally.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:00 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

I agree with Mr. Glavin.

Few servos have centers and end points that match another servo out of the box. They do happen, but you have to buy a lot of servos to find a matched pair.

You can follow Mr. Glavins suggestions of using an aux channel on the radio and matching the servos through trim functions, or consider purchasing the Futaba equivalent of the JR Matchbox. I'm sorry that I don't recall the name of the Futaba component.

The matching device may be the easier and more accurate of the two methods, but it does add another piece of equipment and additional expense to the installation.

I would also seriously consider stepping up a little in servo class and ability levels. Futaba is a fine radio and makes excellent servos, but you will probably need a higher end servo to properly serve your needs.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:03 PM
Ken Bryant
My Feedback: (10)

Thanks for that. I have a couple 3050 servos I am going to try.