Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

How Do you Figure Wing Area?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

How Do you Figure Wing Area?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 05:54 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How Do you Figure Wing Area?

I'm not sure what you mean by "not losing resistance". You can move the batteries back and if you are concerned with increased resistance get thicker wire.Get rid of the pull-pull and move the rudder servo back to the tail. Even if you want to keep the pull-pull you could make a hatch for the servo in the bottom of the tail. I'd also look to see if you could maount the engine any farther back and get a lighter spinner. As for the glow and regulator, I believe many are running the Moki without them as long as you use large diameter copper and fuel line in the tank to the carb.

Again lighten that thing as much as possible cause the wing loading won't let it fly the way you want to.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:48 PM
T28RON
My Feedback: (32)

Thanks for the info. I can't move the engine. What are you referring to when you say use copper tubing. As I mentioned before I am using the large diameter fuel tubing. There are only a couple of folk on RCU that are not using the glow igniter and they arent doing 3D. having said that, I will use your ideas and I'm sure the weight will decrease. I never did ask, do you fly 3D? you seem to be awfully knowledgeable. about large scale planes.

Ron.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:18 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks but, my knowledge and flying skills are mediocre at best. I have just gone through this learning curve already with several planes slightly bigger than yours and I have retained a lot of information that now seems basic.

I was refering to large diameter copper fuel tank plumbing which should be used along with large diameter fuel tube, the easier it will be for that thirsty Moki to draw fuel and avoid a lean condition. Some Pitts style mufflers also don't creat enough back pressure in the tank, hence people use a pump but, crimping down one of the exhaust tubes can also help.

What I have learned is that on 1/4 scale planes, EVERY ounce counts and the less gadgets you have the better. It may seem like a big plane right now and it shouldn't matter that you have a lot of extra gizmos on it but that stuff all adds up and this size plane won't perform with added weight.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:34 PM
T28RON

Thanks for the info. I will apply your information and let you know what happens. Will take me another 2 weeks but will get it done.
Ron.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:45 PM
ukrconsul
My Feedback: (1)

don't forget to add tail area its flying too.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:50 PM
T28RON

Sorry, I don't know what you are talking about unless you are referring to adding the tail feathers to the wing area.

Ron. [8D]