Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

will 3 cell lipo work with a phoenix 10 esc?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

will 3 cell lipo work with a phoenix 10 esc?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 12:27 AM
rcuser
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will 3 cell lipo work with a phoenix 10 esc?

or will the 11.1volts burn the esc? the phoenix 25 is much heavier so id rather avoid it. thanks.
Old 09-18-2004, 04:39 AM
eheheh

Default RE: will 3 cell lipo work with a phoenix 10 esc?

Depends on what kind of amps the brushless motor will have going through it on 11.1V. I've got a 25 amp max variable voltage bench power supply at home and I found that at full throttle the Razor MH V2 was pulling about 14 amps +. Hence the reason I went for the PHX25. I could have gone for a different brand which was rated at 15amps but I just liked the programmable option via USB.

Irrespective of the weight at 11.1 (more like 12 when fully charged) the DF takes off like a rocket into the air from stand still if I slam the throttle forward. I even tried lumping a heavy 120gm 3 cell 1500mAH Li-Po on the heli to see if that was too heavy and it still had no problems getting airborne quickly. The 3 cell 1200mAH seems to be the sweet spot for flight duration (2 cell 1500mHA seems to have a slightly longer duration but the lower voltage doesn't make the heli as nimble in the air). Razor seems to be more efficient at 11.1-12V.
Old 09-18-2004, 06:02 AM
quaker1

How do you manage to get 14+ amps out of a 3c 1200, what brand is it. I use a 3s which has a max c of ten and when I give heavy stick on my Aerohawk which has a razor in it the voltage drops below 9.
Old 09-18-2004, 06:09 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The P10 controller will be quite happy with 2 cell LiPos.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:36 AM
rcuser

sorry i wasnt so clear with my first post.

im trying to setup a HB fixed pitch w/ a GY240 gyro (it's heavy thus Vince recommended to use 3 lipos). Initially i was going to go with brush motors and separates. But realizing that i can go brushless for about $120 more i've decided to go with the razor V2 motor. So would i need a Phx 25 (17grams) for this or will a Phx 10 (6grams) work as the main esc? And will the extra weight with the Phx 25 not matter since the setup will have so much power?

And i was also wondering is the razor's KV value too much for a HB fixed pitch, would i be better off with an astro 010? I can hover well with realflight g2 sim and want to learn with the FP and convert it into CP and replacing the least amount of parts possible. So if the razor is overkill then it's still ok b/c ill use it later on. But if the razor setup is hard to hover on then ill have to reconsider.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:29 PM
eheheh

rcuser - Just giving you to low down on what I'm experiencing with my current setup : GWS DF (2004 model) / Razor MH V2 / PHX25 / GY240 / TREC tail /3Cell li-po / Flat wooden FP blades

This setup is far easier to hover than the original kit and forward flight is brilliant. Debateable if the 3C 1200mAH actually gets anywhere near 14amps as this is something I observed when I hooked up the heli to a power supply which doesn't drop it's voltage under load. AlleRC recommended the PHX 25 ESC if I was going to use 11.1 li-po's so I took their word for it. The extra weight clearly isn't an issue. Even running on the 2cell li-po's is fine.

I have tried the original blades as well but it seems to have a lower RPM for the same lift. The higher RPM seems to make the hover more stable when I have the flat wooden blades.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:42 PM
rcuser

thanks for the reply ehehehe
Old 09-21-2004, 07:27 AM
Sao

Also was that amp rating whilst you were holding the heli down? If so it will drop once in the air.

I have been using P10's on 3 liths in Fp Pics and CP Pics, Hornets etc, never had a problem