Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

!!!!!!!HELP Which heli to buy? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

!!!!!!!HELP Which heli to buy? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 04:59 PM
SexyPizzaMan
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: !!!!!!!HELP Which heli to buy? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, i will do so. Where can i get cheap motors again, where are they located? china? hope not... I would like to order in US. www.heli-world.com I dont know where to look or what to search, if you could find a brushless tail set up for this heli that would be great, would mean alot to me. Would i need a different esc? Mabey ill get th high authority, how long do those last?? do i need a different esc or different motor for lithium power batteries? What is th best set up i can get for like... lets say 250. 199 is the heli with radio rtf
Old 09-19-2004, 05:13 PM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

I look around to see if I can find where I saw the stuff... [link=http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=400&item=DCM-166&type=store]Allelectronics[/link] is where I got the motors. They are in the US and ship VIA USPS. Very good for the price. For a brushless set-up you would need a brushless ESC. FOr a Li-Po set-uip you can use 2-cell bats... THe 3-cell have 11.1 volts and will burn up your motors quickly.
Old 09-19-2004, 05:20 PM
Acs_guitars

THe other motors are on [link=http://www.helihobby.com/html/motors.html]Heli Hobby[/link] I have also read in these forums about using a GWS motor which worked very well.
Old 09-19-2004, 05:23 PM
SexyPizzaMan

Ok well i have a rtf dragonfly, extra battery extra tail motor extra preformance 370 motor head sinks for both the tail and main motor all for 250. Would that be a good buy?? Ill also order a high authority tail motor.

People say in the reviews that they are 2/3 the power of stock. Is this true??
Old 09-19-2004, 05:27 PM
SexyPizzaMan

Will the Twin Tail Motor Mount and tail Guard Kit work with those cheap tail mototrs? Since people say they are smaller. If so then i would buy like 20 little engines useing 2 at the same time increacing their life and power. Would this work?
Old 09-19-2004, 09:03 PM
SexyPizzaMan

About how long does the hummingbird last on a regular 8.4v battery nimh?? I want to buy 2 extras. Or should i just get lithium batteries??? If i get lithium, can i use small 2c packs, do i have to get a bigger esc will the heli work without any electronic upgrades to use lithium? I want to get the kotam 1025 mah 2 c packs and a charger. So ill get the stock hummingbird and 2 2cell lithium packs. I understand this will be a motor burning fiesta, what can i do?? Are those cheap motors from http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...166&type=store strong enough to fly well with the lipos??
Old 09-21-2004, 03:12 AM
Zero262

Just to confuse things even more, have a look at the movie clip on this website, it shows the piccolo flying in a pretty stong breeze with carbon blades!!

http://www.carbonblades.com/mainblades.htm

I've ordered some to try on my Jabo 2!

Also the Colco thunderbird looks like a bargain on this website:
http://www.raidentech.com/cothbiclccoi.html

I'm aiming to tweak my Jabo 2 to get it to fly as much like a helicopter as i can, whilst keeping it as simple and cheap as possible, so i am just trying one small change at a time, it's close to how i want it now though, hopefully the stiffer more efficient blades will do the trick.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:21 PM
Acs_guitars

The "cheap" motors form allelectronics are the EXACT same as a stock motor replacement from a Heli supplier, only the mark up the price to $12. The only difference is that these do not come with the capacitor, but it is just a matter of using the same one from the motor you are replacing. They will fly fine with LI-Po's (no special ESC or Motors).... As I told you once before. The 2-cell li-po will NOT burn out either main nor tail motor any faster than the stock NiMH 8.4v battery. Li-Po's give longer flight time because of the higher mA over stock NiMH, the factor that would burn up a motor is if you used a 3-cell Li-Po because they are 11.1v. The highest voltage that a stock hummingbird, RTF, can handle is 9.6v. The stock battery can run up to 12 min in a simple hover, with a Li-Po you should be able to double that flight time to 24 min.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:45 PM
SexyPizzaMan

i bought 2 2cell 1025mah lipo batteries, a hummingbird elite and a high authority tail, as well as cooling sink for both tail and main motor. I have that cheap 50 dollar hobbico charger which charges lipos at 1 amp, how long would it take to charge the lipo at 1 amp? Does the charger shut off once it is done charging?
Old 09-21-2004, 07:22 PM
skyhawknut

Your wasting your time and money on a micro. You say you want to fly outdoors? If there is anything more than DEAD calm - the heli will be all over the place. They are not that stable and they break quite easily. I'm not trying to slam micros - they have their place - just not for what you want.

Out of all the zoom 400 is probably the best, but since you have nitro - you could get a Hawk sport for about 200-250 and a TON of spares for $600.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:38 PM
SexyPizzaMan

Ive seen videos amd it did look a little shacky but not as bad as you describe. In my opinion, its more of the pilots decision and skill of how he flys, anything is possible. I do have 1 question. Is the Hummingbird elite cp less durable then the fp version?? The fp is on backorder and i really want to fly, for 50 bucks difference i get the cp upgrade extra blades servo. Not to bad of a deal. But is it durable? If not then i will wait for the fp.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:28 PM
SexyPizzaMan

Ok i bought the cp today and it was shipped. Will be here tommarow or friday. I will post video and pictures soon. Can someone tell me how to post videos?