Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Taylorcraft - what gasoline engine?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Taylorcraft - what gasoline engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 08:52 PM
rbort
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No glue

Hi T-craft:

Originally I used RC56 glue and the window trim tape supplied. But the tape blew off (started to peel away) and the window broke loose of the fuse surface.

I removed the tape and the glue, and then sealed the canopy to the fuselage with electrical tape. Yes, electrical tape. This tape can be stretched to round the corners, and 1 piece goes around from the bottom left to the bottom right sides. Much neater look and its still stuck on great, with no glue either and no mess from the glue joint hidden under the tape (even from inside it looks good).

The windshield will go BELOW the back edge of the cowling, not over it as you say in your email.

-=>Raja.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:00 PM
t-craft-RCU

Default Taylorcraft - what gasoline engine?

Yeah your right. I meant to say fuse not cowling. Wow, I must have gotten a kit that someone rifled through because I didn't get alot of stuff you guys got with yours. I saw the pics and was wondering what the black was around the windows. LOL They make a red electrical tape too. Thanks. That solves the problem.
Old 11-08-2002, 08:18 PM
t-craft-RCU

Raja:

I weighed mine last night and it came in at about 17 lbs with a full tank of gas! I will need a longer runway. LMAO
Old 11-08-2002, 08:26 PM
rbort

Default Seems more than usual?

Hey T-craft:

I forgot what engine you said you were putting in yours. You gotta figure 1 extra pound for gas with the stock tank, so you are saying yours is 16lbs dry.

Before I added all the extra equipment in mine, it checked in at 15lbs +/- 1/2 pound (with bathroom scale so accuracy is with 1/2 pound) ready to fly with no gas.

I've configured and reconfigured and reconfigured it in the last 34 flights so many times that it weighs different every week. My last mods I took out the ignition battery and I'm running the engine on the video battery now (its a 5600mah pack so I figured it can handle the engine too).

Once this thing is setup as I like it I will weight it again and let you know what I got. But, at 17lbs its will still fly just fine as I remember checking it one day at the field with the video equipment and it checked in at 18.9 lbs with some fuel (about 32oz).

How is yours equipped and did you add any lead? What servos, battery packs, engine, etc? Just wondering why you are at 17lbs wet...

-=>Raja.
Old 11-08-2002, 08:41 PM
drandles
My Feedback: (8)

Raja,

I was wondering if you ever drew up a schematic of all of your cyber flying hardware. Secondly, can I get a password to look at the 2002 videos on your site?

Dale
[email protected]
Old 11-08-2002, 08:57 PM
t-craft-RCU

Raja:

Yeah I put the G-23 with a slimline inverted pitts smoke muffler in it. I put 6 Jr 537 servos in. The throttle servo is on the right side of the stock tank under the dash. Two elevator servos. I ditched the cluncky Y pushrod and put good ones in. I used the pull pull stock setup but I will eventually put a better one in. The aileron servos are set up with the flapperon setup on my JR 8103. I have a TME smoke system mounted under the dash below the gas tank. The tank for the smoke is 18oz mounted next to the seat on the left. So I moved the seat to the right a bit to make it fit. Its ready to fly. Tomorrow weather permitting will be the maiden flight.
Old 11-09-2002, 04:13 AM
rbort

Default Good luck, and take your time!

Hey T-craft:

Oh okay, so you got smoke in there for that extra pound of weight plus maybe one more servo. Good luck with the flight operations tomorrow. The best piece of advice I can give you is take you time lifting this plane off with the g23 allowing it to develop enough speed to fly on the wing, as the engine is not going to lift it up and away, only propel it forward.

Should fly very nice and realistic, and will slow down pretty good too. Enjoy!

-=>Raja.

P.S. As you are using a g23, you can downsize the gas tank to 10oz and shed 1/2 pound of weight and still get a solid 15 minute flight with gas to spare, unless of-course you like to fly a 1/2 hour flight or more.
Old 11-10-2002, 07:54 PM
t-craft-RCU

Hi Raja,

Yeah there is a little more weight because of the extra servo and smoke. Didn't get to fly it Saturday because of high winds, but we started the motor and got it running great. I was told I had too much throw in the control surfaces so I need to adjust that before I take it up. I am driving an hour from home to a field that has a 350ft runway. Our little flying field close to home is too short for the first flights. I agree on the take off roll. It will fly itself off when it is ready.
Old 12-02-2002, 11:46 PM
Ivalej1

hows it going? i was going to buy the han9 tcraft and put a g23 in it with a slimline smoke muffler and the slimeline showtime smoke system. i founf a great deal on a g-38 would this be a better engine? would it do nice manuvers or would it be a big trainer? so what do you guys think about a g38? thanks
Old 12-03-2002, 02:11 PM
t-craft-RCU

Default G-38 VS something else

I guess if you want to add ignition to an already heavy motor the G-38 will be fine. I would spend a little extra and get something lighter and more powerful if you want the plane to do vertical and all the other unscale like manuvers. Mine weighed in at 17lbs already with the extra servo and smoke system. I wanted a more scale-like plane. Look at Raja's posts. He seems to have the right combination. Good luck.
Old 12-03-2002, 03:06 PM
Balsageek

Default G-26

I wonder how that new Zenoah G-26 would pull something like this. Sure wish they'd hurry up and release the engine!
Old 12-03-2002, 03:15 PM
t-craft-RCU

It is a little more powerful. It would fly scale-like. I don't know if it is released yet or not.
Old 01-11-2003, 12:34 AM
Barry Fogal

I have a T Craft and installed a MDS 148, turns a 16x8 Zinger prop. The plane has good power with the engine turning 3.5 hp. I fly with two other T Crafts; one with the G23 and one with a OS 120 4C. Both fly well and very scale. The extra power helps on vertical but no hovering at this level. H9 says the plane will hover with a Saito 180, I struggle to believe that.

When I considered Gas I was going to install a RCS 140 for scale flying, after seeing the plane fly with the G23, the RCS 140 would be a good selection. If you got to hover you will need the power of a 40cc. There is a lot of them out there to pic from, but as mentioned the plane's cowl length may be a little short for a big mill. A side mounted carb will help, but require some cutting on the side of the cowl. Either way a bigger engine will require some mods. Good Luck.
Old 01-11-2003, 04:20 AM
HarleyRider
My Feedback: (10)

I have one of the new G26's in my H9 T-Craft and I plan on flying tomorrow if the wind is not to high. The engine is turning a 18.6 @ 6800 RPM. Keep in mind it has less than 30 minutes of run time.
You can find the G26 at most LHS with a price of 299.95.
Old 01-12-2003, 02:10 AM
Barry Fogal

The trusty Thrust HP Calculator shows 14.5 static, 38 mph with that G 26. Looking forward to your report. Been to nasty to fly here lately in central PA.