Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

HELP! Please identify this aircraft

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

HELP! Please identify this aircraft

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 06:51 PM
parkavenue
My Feedback: (262)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Please identify this aircraft

I am assisting a person disposing of a deceased modeler's estate and we need help identifying this twin engine aircraft, perhaps maybe the builder, and any information regarding this beautiful aircraft. Twin O.S. 46 engines. Pneumatic retracts. High gloss paint finish. TOP quality construction - probably NOT a kit. Since the model is going to be sold, perhaps a general idea of value. The aircraft has not been flown. THANKS for your information!!![img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66877.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	177450  
Old 09-27-2004, 07:08 PM
strnglvr
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: HELP! Please identify this aircraft

It's a pica, Duelist,.........Paul
Old 09-27-2004, 07:12 PM
strnglvr
My Feedback: (1)

It is a kit, nolonger made, I'd ask at least 500.00,........nice looking plane,.......Paul
Old 09-27-2004, 07:24 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Compare it to these two.

Bill.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46404.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	177462   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64710.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	177463  
Old 09-27-2004, 07:24 PM
parkavenue

Thanks for the response. Is the aircraft a DUELIST manufactured by Pica??? Hopefully, plans may be available...
Old 09-27-2004, 07:27 PM
parkavenue

Hi Bill,

THANKS for the pictures! Yep, looks the same. The tip of my rudder has been removed but everything else looks the same. What are the flying characteristics?
Old 09-27-2004, 08:38 PM
William Robison

Pica is supposed to be going back into production "After The Move," but they don't give a date. If you can find a set of plans, fine. The Duellist (Mk I) plan hasn't been available separately since 1977 or so, the plan for the Mk II is available from RCM or MAN, never remember which. The Mk II has some minor structural differences, the major difference is lowering the vertical fin and rudder with the addition of a sub rudder. Also, the wing and stab are set to zero incidence on the Mk II along with a 0-0-0 thrust line. I refer to them as the "Twisty" version (Mk I) and the "Straight" version, the Mk II.

As a first twin, the Duellist Mk I is one of two airplanes I recommend. It's an easy flier, and the single engine characteristics are very gentle. This is assuming you're fairly competent with a single engine aerobatic plane. The Mk II is the better of the two for aerobatics, though, with everything at 0-0 its inverted flight is almost exactly the same as upright. The Mk I is notably different upright and inverted.

A selling price? The average Duellist will cost at least a thousand bucks ready to fly, but this is including all the radio gear too. If yours is missing part of it lower the price accordingly.

Bill.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:29 AM
parkavenue

THANKS for the information regarding the Duellist. This identification task was easily accomplished with great friends on this RCU forum. I will probably list the aircraft sometime next week. REGARDS, Richard
Old 09-28-2004, 03:20 PM
rrudytoo
My Feedback: (27)

Just a suggestion: Why not auction this plane on this website? The pictures show a beautiful airplane, indeed! If it has fixed gear, I'd start the bidding around $300 and take it from there. If it has retracts, I'd start around $400. Of course, if there is radio gear installed, that would add to the value. Your call depending on the gear, the brand and whether or not the transmitter was included.

This is a truly beautiful airplane and anyone on this website would be fortunate to own it. We take care of our own, parkavenue. You name the price, someone will take it................with pride and honor.

Al
Old 10-16-2004, 03:36 PM
robert92679

ORIGINAL: William Robison

As a first twin, the Duellist Mk I is one of two airplanes I recommend.
Hello. I am considering building my first twin. I was wondering what is the second plane you would also recommend.

Also, as long as we're on the subject of a Duellist. I have the Pica kit, as well as the MkII plans. Has there been much success converting the Pica kit into a MkII?

Thank you,

Robert
Old 10-16-2004, 04:19 PM
William Robison

Robert:

The other recommended twin is the Twin-Air 45 from Northeast Aerodynamics. See them [link=http://www.ne-aero.com/]here[/link].

The Twin-Air is not only a good first twin, it's a good first kit. The Duellist requires a higher skill level to build satisfactorily.

The Mk I and Mk II Duelists vary mainly in the incidences; the Mk I has the wing and stab at +2, the Mk II is dead away with all angles, including the thrust line, at 0-0-0. With the engines at 5 degrees down thrust the Mk I requires almost no power trim, but all the angles make it a bit of a bear for inverted flight. The Mk II is the better aerobatic plane.And of course, the lowered rudder and vertical fin of the Mk II make it do a better knife edge.

Building the Mk I as the Mk II is very easy, so long as you don't try for a 100% conversion. The wing is a little different, just ignore that and set the wing an stab at zero incidence, the vertical fin and rudder are an easy change. Then, setting the engines to 0-0 gives you effectively a Mk II plane. Alternately, if you do nothing more that setting the engines to +2 degrees, leaving the wing and stab as they are you have effectively done the same thing. This is the way to convert an existing plane, When doing it in a new build I prefer setting everything to zero.

Hope this helps, at least a little bit.

Bill.
Old 10-16-2004, 04:40 PM
robert92679

Thank you, Bill, for the response.

I have built a few kits and was considering tackling the Duellist as my first twin. If I understand you correctly, to make the Pica kit into a MkII, I would change the rudder, the wing/stab incidences, and the thrust line? As you suggested, I would omit any changes to the wing. Are the incidence changes basically accomplished by modifying the wing and stab saddles on the fuse? I also presume I'd build the firewalls essentially straight on the nacelles to achieve the 0 thrust line. Is that about it?

Thanks again,

Robert
Old 10-16-2004, 05:32 PM
William Robison

Robert:

Sounds like you have the idea. The stab seat is trivial, replace the tapered seat plates with straight ones, the wing saddle is a little more of a bother, but having the Mk II plan you can get a good idea of how much to cut.

The plywood nacelle doublers can be trimmed to a 90 degree angle to straighten the firewalls, or you can fit a hardwood wedge to bring the engines up. I prefer cutting the doublers, it saves that little bit of weight and moving the engines up helps the propellor tip clearance also.

The Duellist is a great plane even in the Mk I variation, as a Mk II it's all you could want. It's good enough for novice, and maybe intermediate pattern contests, a good flier would probably do well with it in advanced class also.

Bill.