Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Diesel airframe equivalence

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Diesel airframe equivalence

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 02:38 PM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Diesel airframe equivalence

While I'm dreaming and scheming, looking at [link=http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/cwdata/chihuahua0002.html]the chihuahua[/link] on that wonderful plans site, I noticed the engine outlined on the plan appears to be a diesel. Would a tee dee .09 be in the safe range of power for an airframe made for 1cc to 1.5cc diesel?

Diesels are slightly more potent than glow for a given displacement, aren't they?
Old 10-17-2004, 08:42 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Diesel airframe equivalence

I have Chihuahua plans and have thought about building one. A TD 09 is a Gonzo engine, and I don't think any usual 09 size diesel is more powerful. I've seen a PAW 09 twin ball bearing competition special run and it is in the ballpark, as is the Cipolla 09. If you pay big bucks for one of the speciality 1/2A combat or racing diesels (1/2A in a lot of the world is 09) you could well have a more powerful motor. The TD 09 is. after all, a 60's era engine.

I've flown a TD 09 in Classic Stunt in a Shark 15 profile, and a Jr Flitestreak. Cox grey 7 x 3.5 prop, 10% Sig Champion fuel, 20% oil 50/50 mix, TD glow head, crankcase pressure off the backplate through a one-way valve to a uniflow 2.5 oz tank. 57 Ft. 012 lines. Turn it loose at about 14, 500-15,000 and get 4.1 - 4.2 second laps.

I'm presently building one of Walter Umland's Shark 15 kits; setting it up with aluminum mounting plates where I can run either a TD or Cipolla 09 diesel. I'm also going to try a Medallion 09 on shorter lines. A friend has a LA 10 with a TD 09 venturi setup on a Jr. Flitestreak which flies quite nicely on 45 ft lines. That LA 10 is really quiet in contrast to the unmuffled TD which is pretty loud.

Jim
Old 10-18-2004, 03:31 AM
telmore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave Day wins the Chihuahua only stunt competition every year - he flies his with a PAW 80!

Tony

And thanks for saying my site is wonderful!
Old 10-18-2004, 07:39 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tony,

The name sounded familiar so I looked it up on your site. I have, I think, three old Aeromodelers in my collection (bought new) and that is one of them. If I remember correctly it included a full-size plan folded into the pages.
...Now, which magazine box did I store them in?...

George