Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Engine instalation on my TF P-47.

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Engine instalation on my TF P-47.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 02:02 PM
Henrik_Rosen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine instalation on my TF P-47.

I have got some questions about how I could fit an OS 120 SIII with silencer inside the cowl of my Top Flite P-47 Gold Edition. I added a picture of it at my website. Press the link and you will se the picture.

[link=http://www.henrikrosen.com/IMG_0872.jpg]Picture of the engine installation.[/link]
Old 10-14-2004, 03:10 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Engine instalation on my TF P-47.

I can see a couple of things you should look at.

1. 4 stroke mufflers/silencers get VERY hot. From what I see in the photo, the end of the silencer is going to definitely damage the finish and it is very probably the wood itself from the heat.

2. From the photo it appears the silencer is held in place by a hose clamp attached to a wood block. You should fabricate some metal stand offs to provide air circulation around where it attaches to the firewall. If you take a look at an in cowl muffler you will see what I mean.
( http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHY74&P=ML ).

3. Another possibility you may want to consider is mounting the engine sideways (at 90 degrees) and using a Pitts style muffler.
( http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFH01&P=7 )
The sideways mounting eliminates many of the problems associated with an inverted engine mount.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:10 PM
LongJorn

Hi Henrik,
I use a Saito 100 on my TF p47 and did it as you see on the picture. The Muffler is a Graupner No. 3355 for 2-stroke (Taxi)
I am just building a TF Sea Fury and will use the same configuration.
The Muffler I bought from ebay.de first one was only 6Euro, the second from the link below:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...754647989&rd=1
this austrian dealer has more of them I guess
let me try to insert my picture - ?!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54954.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	183405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24450.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	183406  
Old 10-18-2004, 03:18 AM
Henrik_Rosen

I’ve been running the engine for about 15 min without having any problem but I know the silencer really hot on a 4-stroke engine. I have attached the hose clamp to a piece of metal that I made and that one is mounted to the firewall. I haven’t seen any damage made by heat yet. I will do some more test runs before flying to make sure everything is working as I was hoping. I think the long flex tube is helping to cool down the exhaust fumes (not sure if that’s the correct word). I've done some extra ventilation to get rid of the heat inside the cowl too. It’s an experiment and I’m not sure it will work all the way.

There is Pittstyle muffler that I could use even if the engine is upside-down but they where to wide so I would have to cut a hole in the cowl on both sides. Would not look nice.

What I’m most afraid of is that the flex host will be to hot and heat up the cowl. I have a spare cowl though to if it does it wont be that much trouble getting a new one in place and rebuild the exhaust system.

[link=http://www.henrikrosen.com/p-47056.JPG]another picture of the engine instalation. [/link]

LongJorn.... It sayd the muffler on eBay is for a 7,5cc 2-stoke engine and I have a 20cc 4-stroke. Will that work at all?
Old 10-18-2004, 06:57 AM
Henrik_Rosen

I wonder if a slimline muffler would fit.

Picture from www.slimlineproducts.com.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82484.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	183845  
Old 10-18-2004, 07:11 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Slimline web site does not have any info on the inverted muffler/slincer.

I did find a site that has a little info on it and may be able to provide the dimensions you need.

http://www.creativehobbies.net/Slimline.html

Hope this helps.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:36 AM
LongJorn

Henrik,
the intake side of the muffler I use is 14mm open area, the two outlets have 2 times 6mm opening, thats more than my original Saito 100 (17ccm) muffler has (one 8mm outlet)

I guess your setup is working - as long the flex-tube is not to close to the abs-cowl. (in the bottom of your picture-top of the cowl) Give it a try!
Old 10-19-2004, 02:53 PM
jaka

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi!
How will you hook up the silencer to the exhaust copper tubing....a silconhose will not hold out much long in that heat!

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Old 10-20-2004, 02:51 AM
Henrik_Rosen

I used a brass tube that I had to press on the silencer. It worked during the first test run. I will have to do some more test runs on the ground to be sure. I will probably put a hose clamp on to just to be safe.
The silencer was not that hot after the first test run so I think the flex tube cool of the exhaust. I’m little concerned that the flex tube is to close to the fiberglass cow. I bough a cowl from Stan’s Fibertech so I’m not using the abs-cowl that came with the kit. I also painted it with heat durable silver paint on the inside.