Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Don't miss this thread, you elitist Jet guys!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Don't miss this thread, you elitist Jet guys!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 03:21 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Don't miss this thread, you elitist Jet guys!

Don't miss out it is getting great!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=2267053

Just so my views are clear:

1.) I do not think you would ever get some people to pay for a multi thousand dollar jet, I mean look at the thread. I realize that. These threads are fascinating to read, to look at the incredible looping rationalizations that some people make, that it is somehow the victim's fault for flying such a nice plane....fascinating.

2.) I personally think getting someones homeowners to pay is actually bad for all of us. I have a friend that seems to know a lot about homeowners, he says once the word gets out about how expensive these models can get we will see more and more exclusions

3.) And as for the class warfare (elitist) crap, it is just that....crap. It is easy to afford jets. Just take the money wasted on new cars and spend it on planes :-) I have had 2 trucks in 19 years. I think it is stupid for people to buy new cars every 2 years and to waste all of that money on something that takes them from point A to point B....but that is just me.
That money saved from cars pays for my hobby 3 times over.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:09 PM
Wren Turbines USA
My Feedback: (39)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Don't miss this thread, you elitist Jet guys!

Simply amazing. The thought process of some people. And the AMA thinks we as turbine waiver holders should recert in 2005. I think they should take a closer look at the modelers in that section of the hobby. And they all hide behind their web names. It would be entertaining to see them come over to this forum and blow their s**t around.

"The good Lord must have loved idiots, because he sure made a bunch of them!"

Ron Ballard
Old 10-19-2004, 04:22 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The good Lord must have loved idiots, because he sure made a bunch of them
I think that they are more like a byproduct....

Rgds,Enrique
Old 10-19-2004, 04:55 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Matt,
Where I live, no one gives a second look if you run a brand new snow machine every year... many cost well over 10 grand. Or, like you say, drive a shiny new truck every two years.... but spend a fraction of that cash on a model plane and they think its insane...

More people could afford giant scale gassrs, jets, etc if they sacrificed somewhere else... like many of us regualr working joe's do in order to afford them.

AJC
Old 10-19-2004, 07:34 PM
ShaneUSMC
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the enlightenment! I still take offense to being called an eliteist though. [sm=lol.gif]
Old 10-19-2004, 07:45 PM
dbarrym
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geez Matt, took me a few posts to realize that that thread wasn't a joke. Scary what kind of "logic" some people seem to follow.

Even Kenny got dragged into the mud over there. []

That's it, I'm going back to flying only $30 Lite-Stik parkflyers. Unless someone shows up with a $500 brushless/Lipo powered model. In which case I'lll just shoot him down.

Barry
Old 10-19-2004, 07:51 PM
MHall
My Feedback: (7)

After reading all 4 pages of that cr@p, it really makes want to get out of this hobby. I can't beleive the attitudes of some of the guys in this hobby. After reading all that I just want to go ....................[:@]!!! I need a break before I break something, boy did that get my blood boiling. [>:]
Old 10-19-2004, 08:38 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

This was hashed out a coupla months ago too. Some other guy in the clubhouse said that people with "high dollar" models were imposing risk on other people who fly at the same field. I never understood what that meant......
Old 10-19-2004, 09:02 PM
pilott28
My Feedback: (27)

Well, no matter what they say, the system kinda works one way.

Do something negligent, get sued, have it proven, you pay. End of story. Nothing in those four pages of opinions changes this simple fact.

If it happens to you, turning in the claim to your liability carrier becomes a judgement call. If you have been with your insurer for a short period of time and have a history of frequent claims, it could be the straw that get's your policy cancelled. On the other hand, if you have been with one company for a while and aren't turning in claims all the time, go collect. That is what your premium is for. I wouldn't go after small sums, but 8k is worth a claim in my view.

There aren't enough of these claims to raise any statistical interest in an exclusion. Actually, more and more companies are including modelling activities expressley in the policy. Our losses are so few and far between, we are on no one's radar screen from a liability standpoint.

Matt, I think you did a great job explaining things. Kenny, sorry for your loss.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:06 PM
F900
My Feedback: (2)

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Matt,

I Don't know why you bother, talking to guys like that, you might as well be pissing againest the wind.

I wish i could post a picture with a few words on it in that post for mike, but it would probably get me banned lol
Old 10-19-2004, 11:23 PM
MLaCoste
My Feedback: (15)

Screw those guys! I will not appologize for being able to afford to be a member of this "elite" group. I've busted my ass to make a good living, support my family, and enjoy a hobby that I've loved for many years.

It's too bad that they are just too bitter to enjoy the high-tech end of the hobby......
Old 10-20-2004, 11:01 AM
ShaneUSMC

I agree with the above. These guy/gals suffer from what I call "All about me" syndrome. [:@]
Old 10-20-2004, 11:28 AM
Gordito Volador

We could just look at it like this, "Minds of moderate caliber are always quick to condemn that which is beyond their range".

Bill
Old 10-20-2004, 12:16 PM
Broken

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Come Now- were not all that bad. (I can't speak for others) But sometimes I like to take the what if route in a discussion. Sort of a devils advocate. I can tell you this- certain un-named individuals are not worth arguing with... But the rest of the open discussion is fairly relevant (as discussions go)..

I think 2 additional things are at work here-
1- It's an absolute terrifying fact that someone may (will) bring down a jet or and high$$/time invested model and have to pay for it..
2- Its easier to say your all different and rich with green blood pumping pure money and spitting gold so don't make me pay cause you can afford it...(not true in most cases according to the community at large)

I still think that most people in that forum (myself included) would do the right thing when faced with the situation.. It is "what ifs" (in my head) that cause the black and white issue to turn greyish...

Forums are fun right??
G. S.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:49 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You guys worry too much. Step back and analyze the situation.

I'll bet that 90% of the R/C modelers have some degree of decency, and will do anything they can to replace the loss. But I wouldn't expect a $28K a year modeler with 2 kids and a wife to pay for anything more than $1500. It sucks but there is nothing more to do. Sue?? Maybe, if the guy at fault is being an a-hole about it.

This is a very bad, bad situation, but don't loose your sleep to it. The hobby is to be enjoyed, and I would not worry about somebody turning on a radio, and if it happens the person will most likely respond.. If your jet crashes for any reason just pick it up, throw it on a 54 gal drum, throw 15% Nitro on it, smoke a cigarrette and when your done throw the butt into the drum, then watch that sucker burn and curse at it for about one hour. Then hope you'd removed the servos and the engine. Works for me.

Everytime I go in the air Im expecting to loose my airplane, that way, if it doesn't crash I feel pretty good.

I agree with Matt and with the Loosers without a jet too.

Score is 1:1
Old 10-20-2004, 06:00 PM
MHall
My Feedback: (7)

I noticed a big difference between the post on other forums and the ones here, almost all of us post our names, emails, business, clubs, etc... almost none of them do. It must be nice to hide behind a "screen name" and talk big. I have a feeling that most of these guys would be singing a different tune face to face. Just my 2 cents.[8D]
Old 10-20-2004, 07:51 PM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: mahmc1

I noticed a big difference between the post on other forums and the ones here, almost all of us post our names, emails, business, clubs, etc... almost none of them do. It must be nice to hide behind a "screen name" and talk big. I have a feeling that most of these guys would be singing a different tune face to face. Just my 2 cents.[8D]

The only big difference is that they dare not come in this forum and post that type of crap.. It would not be tolerated….(not under my watch)

Regards

Ben.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:24 PM
DCM
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: FalconWings

You guys worry too much. Step back and analyze the situation.

I'll bet that 90% of the R/C modelers have some degree of decency, and will do anything they can to replace the loss. But I wouldn't expect a $28K a year modeler with 2 kids and a wife to pay for anything more than $1500. It sucks but there is nothing more to do. Sue?? Maybe, if the guy at fault is being an a-hole about it.

This is a very bad, bad situation, but don't loose your sleep to it. The hobby is to be enjoyed, and I would not worry about somebody turning on a radio, and if it happens the person will most likely respond.. If your jet crashes for any reason just pick it up, throw it on a 54 gal drum, throw 15% Nitro on it, smoke a cigarrette and when your done throw the butt into the drum, then watch that sucker burn and curse at it for about one hour. Then hope you'd removed the servos and the engine. Works for me.

Everytime I go in the air Im expecting to loose my airplane, that way, if it doesn't crash I feel pretty good.

I agree with Matt and with the Loosers without a jet too.

Score is 1:1

David Hudson

www.dcmodelshop.com
Old 10-20-2004, 08:53 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: mahmc1
I have a feeling that most of these guys would be singing a different tune face to face.
Not most.......
Old 10-20-2004, 10:45 PM
1Eye
My Feedback: (2)

ghost_rider wrote ...
The only big difference is that they dare not come in this forum and post that type of crap.. It would not be tolerated….(
I kinda wondered if the moderator was out "burnin' one" as that thread went up in flames ... (doh) Matt sparked 'em up pretty good; I rate the thread a draw. FalconWings nailed it with both the recommended "therapy" and the Score - 1:1.

If you're gonna fly (anything), sometimes it's not your day and sh*t happens. I will take luck any day over cunning and skill.

Mike
Old 10-21-2004, 05:12 AM
flyrcjets
My Feedback: (30)

Gee..Nobody used this example....The "Pottery Barn Rule"! You break it ...You Bought IT! ...oh well I thought it was funny...I really liked ferg's reply..it could have been me writing it..
WELL ,back to building my YA F15..because my big expensive Eliteist TOY Crashed!!! and I have to BUILDS another one because I can't BLAME anyone else..that really sucks!!
Old 10-21-2004, 08:21 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I've had 3 DFs shot down.

1) I just happened to be flying my JMP Starfire II when a newbie arrived on his first trip to an RC field. He unloaded his plane and turned it on to check something out. The Starfire went in about 175 mph.

2) I was putting the second flight on a George Miller T-38, when an experienced jey guy showed up and turned his radio on to put his gear down. I found out later, that this was his standard practice.

3) I was at a DF meet and traded the pin with the same guy (another experienced jet guy) all day long. As it got later in the day, it got harder to get the pin from him because he was working on some type of problem. So I waited until open flying was announced. I got the pin out of the impound and flew my Sunset Models Sport Eagle. Halfway through the flight my model went straight in to the runway at about 100 mph. After I picked up the wreckage, I noticed that the guy on my frequency was still "working" on his plane and his TX was next to the plane.

None of the three admitted fault or offered any compensation.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:41 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Scumbags!!

Gary, do you currently own a gun?? Just a thought.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:48 AM
Wren Turbines USA
My Feedback: (39)

Buy the bullet, but rent the gun..........................

This subject does bring out a few questions that need attention at the local clubs level.

I have already mentioned this to one of our club officers, his comment was that it is just an unwritten rule. I believe this will change as there really needs to be something in the bylaws,
this way all members know where they stand in the unfortunate event of a shoot down.
If a guy with a $400.00 plane were to be shot down and the shooter would not pay, that guy with the $400.00 plane would probably feel just as much loss as a guy losing a 6 grand plane, if you stop to consider all things being relative (he is spending the same percent of his disposable income).To some, 400 means as much to them as 6 grand does to others.........................think about it. Don't jump my ***** over this, I am only pointing out that some modelers out there would be just as crushed losing their 400 model as would a jet guy losing his "elite model".
A clear list of club rules and the obligations to each other within the club would be a good policy.........ie: if you fly at our field and cause the loss of an aircraft, you WILL compensate the
person who owns that aircraft......PERIOD
In no way am I defending any of the posts in the other forum, just another way to look at it. If the people posting in the other forum say they will not pay for a 8 grand jet that they shoot down, then the jet guy who shoots down a 400 model shouldn't have to pay for that either.

Make any sense?????

Ron Ballard

edited for grammer