Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

My friends savage

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 11:05 PM
jcee76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My friends savage

Ok my friend is offering to sell me his savage which is about 2 years old.

He changed the knuckles.
added the picco .26
Changed the brakes to I dunno what but he said its better than the stock.
Pro-Line 40 Series Big Joe tires

no servos
no receiver
no radio

He said that he didn't drive it for the last year and that the engine is in good condition. I saw the truck it looked like it was in good condition. He's selling it to me for $300. Should I buy?

Or should I just get a new savage RTR?
Is the servos and radio crappy out of the box? Or will I be pretty happy with it?

Also I was checking out the Revo... which is better, out of the box?
Old 10-28-2004, 12:44 AM
geofferama

Default RE: My friends savage

how old is the motor / how many gallons have been run through it?
I'm assuming that your 'friend' wouldn't give you a half dead truck, so it might be worth it if the motor is fairly fresh
Old 10-28-2004, 01:27 AM
Hpi_mt2

Inspect the truck before you buy it ask him if you could take the head of the engine off and see if hes really telling you the truth about the engine. Also look around for any broken parts.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:53 AM
jcee76

Yea I know the guy I use to work with him... He's gonna let me run it on monday.. I'm pretty sure he wont dick me over.

But check out what I was pondering:

truck he is selling to me = $300

I'm gonna purchase a new servo he told me a good one is around $95, an MX3 radio=$110, starter kit $35 gas...etc.
I'm gonna total around $562. I went to hobby people and they can get me a savage RTR with everything I need to get going for $486 but stock servo and radio.. Do you think I'll be happier getting a new one? I heard the servos are crappy out of the box.. true? Do I need to spend more on new servos amd radio to be happy with the truck?.. I need opinions and suggestions pls. thanks in advance.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:45 AM
Kysi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well you dont need to spend that much on a servo, maybe $50 or so. a "starter kit" consists of a fuel bottle, t wrench, glow starter and charger. the mx3 radoi is a good choice, but you can get it for cheaper i think. oh, and get the 75mhz or whatever one, not the 27mhz one
Old 10-28-2004, 05:58 AM
neil.jb

the stock servo's are more than good enough, you just need to do the monster pirate servo saver mod, without this any servo will perform crap,
Old 10-28-2004, 06:32 AM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: jcee76

Yea I know the guy I use to work with him... He's gonna let me run it on monday.. I'm pretty sure he wont dick me over.

But check out what I was pondering:

truck he is selling to me = $300

I'm gonna purchase a new servo he told me a good one is around $95, an MX3 radio=$110, starter kit $35 gas...etc.
I'm gonna total around $562. I went to hobby people and they can get me a savage RTR with everything I need to get going for $486 but stock servo and radio.. Do you think I'll be happier getting a new one? I heard the servos are crappy out of the box.. true? Do I need to spend more on new servos amd radio to be happy with the truck?.. I need opinions and suggestions pls. thanks in advance.
$40 bucks for a hi-tec 645MG. That is a hi-torque servo that will make a real difference without hitting your wallet very hard... If that motor has over 2 gallons on it I would make him keep it and lower the price. Other than that it's a deal.... Those wheels and tires are expensive...
Old 10-28-2004, 11:12 AM
jcee76

ORIGINAL: neil.jb

the stock servo's are more than good enough, you just need to do the monster pirate servo saver mod, without this any servo will perform crap,
So you're saying I'm better off going with a new truck?

Is the performance of the .26 picco noticable comapred to the stock .25?
Old 10-28-2004, 12:22 PM
GALAXY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you drive it monday...I bet you'll want it right then and not wait to get a new one.

Instead of quoting someone and asking your original question...just read what niel said,how did you get that you need a new truck out of that?Maybe if ya read it twice it will help....the stock servo's are fine but its the stock servo saver that sucks,new truck or old unless you do that mod you'll have sloppy steering.

I have a stock SS and MX-3 but I have a higher torque Airtronics servo in there for the steering.When the truck sits on the ground and you turn the wheels via the radio,they hardly move.Its not because the servo is that weak,its that stock servo saver doing way too much "saving" of the servo and being sloppy.You need to remove that weak ass thing and replace it with an Ofna Monster Pirate servo saver....no matter what truck you get.

I need to still do that mod also but can't really afford it at the moment...anyone know how much that servo saver is off the top o' the dome?
Old 10-28-2004, 04:46 PM
Fumunda_Cheese

i'd say buy it if u think it's worth it here is the radio i got for my ss
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXGAG3**&P=0 it comes with a high torque steering servo so all u need is a throttle/brake servo for that i got a futaba S3010 i am completely happy with my radio/servo setup hope this helps