Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

GMS .40 MIDRANGE FAULTY NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 09:38 PM
J3FAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GMS .40 MIDRANGE FAULTY NEED HELP

I am test flying/setting up an ExtraEze 2 for my latest student. The MDS .40 does not hold a good midrange, it either cuts off or floods out. Folks at the field assure me that is SOP for this beginners set up and among the suggestions it was said that an OS carb. replacement is needed. Another suggestion was to run a leaner setting on the low end. I have adjusted the low end needle for a leaner run and got two flights. Because I am not really comfortable with the engine reliability I have not started the training of the student. Please offer good advise to solve this issue. Weather conditions will hold up the training here, for about a week. Thank you....I would also like to know IF there is a particular type of GLOW PLUG that helps this issue. We are running POWERMASTER 15%...the engine running, holds a good steady 10300 RPM with a 10x6 fiberglass prop, narrow blade, plenty of white exhaust smoke, totally clean oil residue, no stress or overheating, idle is pretty acceptable considering that the engine just begins to run. The fuel tank position is SET in this plane, but quite close to putting the center of the tank almost level or slightly below the carburettor intake. The plane loops enormous loops without any sagging whatsoever, so basically the setting is good. The MIDRANGE is just not reliable.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:03 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GMS .40 MIDRANGE FAULTY NEED HELP

If memory serves me 5% is just right for this engine. I had a 58 that had the same problem an MDS speciality. it was finally replaced by Horrizon before they quit selling MDS alltogether.
Replacing the carb and keeping the fuel at 5% should take care of the problem a good carb that is reliable whould do the trick. The 58 had 3 factory carbs and they were all bad. I suggest you check and see if an MVVS carb will fit, (try their factory support on RCU), there are others but not of better quality or price for that matter.