Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Paint Help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Paint Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 10:32 AM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paint Help

HI all, I need some advice on base coat having hairline cracks on the paintjob the next day.
I just repainted my Bobcat after repairing the damage from every day use I did from over 100 flights.
I cleaned the damaged area's, repaired them, primed and sprayed with Omni MBC basecoat with MR 186 reducer. The next day I noticed hairline cracks in the paint. I ended up sanding it all off.
Last night before I repainted the Bobcat I cleaned the areas to be painted with DX330 and painted, this morning I have 2 small cracks at the nose door.
What am I doing wrong.
Rcpete
Old 12-18-2004, 11:04 AM
RAPPTOR
My Feedback: (41)

Default RE: Paint Help

[:'(] NEVER USE """"OMNI"""" PAINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I DID A BVM F-86,ALL SILVER,FLAMES,ECT.. WASHED IT WITH CLEANER FOR CLEAR COAT,ALL WASHED OFF!! I WENT NUTS,,..WITH ALL THE WORK NEEDED FOR GOOD PAINT JOBS,DONT RISK ANYTHING,,PAY ALL THE HIGH BUCK AND GET THE BEST STUFF.. PPG IS GREAT ..HOUSE OF COLORS IS THE BEST,BAR NONE!!
Old 12-18-2004, 11:32 AM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NEVER, I say NEVER use a solvent over your base coat befor clearing it.

If there are small inperfections in the basecoat, you must sand them out and recoat the base coat. I don't care whose product you are using.
Try not to touch the base coat with your bare hands. Use rubber gloves, oil from your finger prints may cause Fisheyes in the clear.
ALL base coats MUST be clearcoated to insure durability.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:22 PM
p47dman
My Feedback: (22)

Rapptor: Are you sure that you used the correct hardener? I have used Omni on many A/C and have had great results. I can clean them even with denatured alcohol with out a problem. If I can be of any help, give me a shout.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:29 PM
RAPPTOR
My Feedback: (41)

I DID NOT USE ANY HARDENER IN THE OMNI. WAS NOT NEEDED..I WASH ALL MY PAINT PROJECTS WITH MINERAL SPRITS.WORKS GREAT..NEVER HAD ANY TROUBLE BEFORE. I USE PPG BASE AND CLEARS ON MY JUNK.. I USE LATEX AND CLEAR ALSO.. CHEAP AND COVERS GREAT!! RD
Old 12-18-2004, 10:38 PM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Rapptor,

Mineral Spirits is your problem not the Omni products, next time use DX 330 it will not attack the paint.

Pete. Sorry I have never had the problem you are describing, does it occur on cracks that you have repaired?
Old 12-19-2004, 08:58 AM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

HI David, no their are no structural cracks, I think my problem might be putting the paint on too thick and maybe I need more than 10 minutes betweem coats so it can gas off. The air passing the paintjob is about 60 degrees.
Rcpete