Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

batts, switches and regulators

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

batts, switches and regulators

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 09:30 AM
vatechguy3
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default batts, switches and regulators

i am setting up the electrical system for my new plane with dual receivers. i though i knew how i was going to setup the batts too, but a friend of mine gave me another idea, so i thought i would post them both here and get everyone's opinions.

option 1
2 dual lead duralite 4000mah batts, 4 electrodynamics heavy duty charge switches, 4 duralite 6v regulators. each lead from the battery will get its own switch and regulator. then one lead from each battery will be installed in receiver 1 and one lead from each battery will be installed into receiver 2. this way theres complete redundancy in each receiver.

option 2
2 single lead duralite 4000mah batts, 2 smart-fly hd switches, 2 smart-fly regulators. batt 1 will plug into the input for swtich 1. switch 1 has outputs, and each will plug an input in regulator 1. regulator 1 has both 2 inputs and 2 outputs. one output from regulator 1 will be plugged into receiver 1 while the other is plugged into receiver 2. the second batt will be wired the same.

option 2 will save around $100 dollars and 5 ounces of weight. but some part of me says that its less redundant than option 1. while it would be nice to save $100 bucks, its worth it if it saves my plane!!

what is everyone's opinion on which setup to use??

thanks,
tony
Old 12-26-2004, 10:21 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: batts, switches and regulators

Might I suggest one failsafe regulated switch with dual leads, per RX. Minimal electrical losses are favorable over the more complicated multi component-connnector setups with electrical losses associated with same. The failsafe switched regualtors do not pass power through the on'off switches, thus eliminating a faliure mode and reducing the systems overall impedance by eliminating several connectors.

My 40% Carden Edge has been setup with Smartflys Failsafe regulated switches and 4000mAh Lithium as noted for a few years and is now getting an upgrade. No problems to date.

You might also consider Smartflys Ultra Regulator and Power Expander.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:47 PM
vatechguy3
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: batts, switches and regulators

no other inputs??