Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Walk me thru this: Brushless motor&pinion recomendations -mainly forTrex using eflite hacker

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Walk me thru this: Brushless motor&pinion recomendations -mainly forTrex using eflite hacker

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 09:20 PM
zonker123
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Walk me thru this: Brushless motor&pinion recomendations -mainly forTrex using eflite hacker

OK not new to helies but new to the electric aspect of the sport. Got a TREX less motor for Xmas. There are so many choices for motor /pinion combos that my head is really starting to hurt. Local HS as the new EFITE hackers in stock, these are 400 size motors. One is rated at 3700 kv and the other is 4900 kv. My battery choice is TP 3S2100s gen II. I will do some moderate 3d but nothing beyond basic flips, loops, and rolls. Please tell how to determine the best way to fiqure the starting pinioin size in assciation with the KV rating of the motor. I know the head speed for aerobatics needs to be in the 2200-2400 RPM range. Just looking for decent performance with decent flight time with out burning something up.

I guess a need a primer in brushless motor application education.

thanks
zonk
Old 12-28-2004, 07:32 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Walk me thru this: Brushless motor&pinion recomendations -mainly forTrex using eflite hacker

fxaeromodels.com has a pinion calculator that takes all the information that you gave and tells you what to expect for head speed.
I have a new TRex, with a mega 16/15/3 and plan on using a 3 cell LiPo. The Pinion calculator says that I can expect 2442 head rpm with an 11 tooth pinion.

I do not know how accurate that really is, but I am starting assembly today, so I will find out soon enough. (oh, ok, I have not ordered the berg receiver or the gy401 gyro yet, so it still will take a while)