Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

What primer to use?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

What primer to use?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 08:28 AM
orenga

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What primer to use?

It is the first time for me to use paint on my models.
can someone help me to get started:
Do i need to apply a balsa filler before the primer on all surfaces?
How do i get rid off the balsa texture, is it with the primer?
thanks, Oren
Old 08-30-2002, 03:24 PM
Giant Scale

Oren,
What kind of model are you building? Warbird, aerobatic, funfly or a trainer? Depending on the type of model and finish you want to achieve, paint may not be a good choice for an entire model. Please provide some more details? Most models are covered with an iron on type covering. Some models are fiberglassed first, then primed and painted. Others use a fiberglass fuse which is painted and use iron on covering on the other surfaces.
Old 08-30-2002, 05:48 PM
orenga

Default painting

I am building a Top Flite Cessna 182.
Oren
Old 08-30-2002, 07:03 PM
stevezero
My Feedback: (11)

I hate to say it, but your best bet from a color match and availiabiltiy standpoint is going ot be the Top Flite Lusterkote primer, paint and clear. It's soft paint, so let each color cure for a few days before trying to mask or clear coat it.

You can spend more and have automotive paint color matched, but you have to know how to mix it, and more importantly, how to spray it. That option is also alot more expensive.

Good Luck
Steve
Old 08-31-2002, 05:52 AM
orenga

Thanks steve,
I already bought automotive paint. The part that i do not know is how to prepare the surfaces for the paint. I did a test run and after paint ou could still see the balsa texture although the surface was very smooth and nice.
Oren
Old 08-31-2002, 07:22 AM
Merlin65

Oren,
Most people seem to use Polyester or Epoxy finishing resin.
There are also various 'Iron-on' open weave coverings that produce a good surface for paint.
I have had some success with thinned plasterboard filler on small areas to hide the balsa grain but this still needs a sealer of some kind like dope.
In years gone by, dope and talcum powder was very popular
--
Merlin65
Old 08-31-2002, 11:59 AM
bash-ace-RCU
My Feedback: (16)

Default Finish

There are some good threads on using waterbased polycrylic and .75 ounce glass cloth to put a nice smooth finish on the plane before painting it. It is much easier to use than the two part epoxy/resin systems and takes a lot less time to prepare.
Old 09-01-2002, 01:28 PM
teleplayr

I agree with the previous poster. You probably won't get satisfactory results painting directly over balsa.

I just finished preparing my Top Flite Spitfire for paint.

I used a layer of 0.70 oz fiberglass on the entire model, and used Minwax Poly Crylic water-based urethane on the wing, and Deft laquer based polyurethane on the fuselage, just to try both. I preferred the laquer based.

After a few coats of that, and some wetsanding, the surface is now hard, smooth and even, ready to take your primer and paint.

As the previous poster said, go look for threads on fiberglassing a model for some good how-to's. ProfLooney is a good guy to ask if you have problems; he's been nothing but helpful to me.

-Joe
Old 09-01-2002, 03:38 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 164 Likes on 146 Posts

As every body says, you need to cover the Balsa with a lite fiberglass cloth and finish resin epoxy with the consistency of Ho2.

Go lite on the epoxy you probably need to light coats if the balsa was well sanded before hand, sand in between coat but not through the fiber.

Coat with primer, basically I usually used the primer made for the system that I'm using ie: I like the PPG paint so I use PPG primer.

Now give it a good coat, then send it off this is to fill the little hole, if when you spay it you find a bunch of them....with your glove on (of course) rub that area it will help the paint to fill the hole.

Repeat as necessary a few coat is usually perfect, then when finish sanding the last coat either apply a lite coat of primer or the white...I usually do the white, then color from lite to the dark one, let cure an then apply one coat of clear, and voila....a nice plane.

Automotive paint should be apply in a well ventilated area with a suit to protect your sink and a mask....they usually recommended force air mask, were a hood and glove and goggle if you are not using a full face mask, this does also apply when mixing.

Daniel D.
Old 09-01-2002, 04:39 PM
orenga

Thanks to you all. I learn here many new things.
What fiberglass cloth to use? ( i do not know if there are different ones ). Do you buy it at a hobby shop or specialized shops ?
How to prepare the epoxy for it ?
Isn't it very difficult to sand?
Oren
Old 09-01-2002, 08:42 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 164 Likes on 146 Posts

Light Fiberglass cloth .75 it can be purchase at most hobby shop, on the web I know at least two place that come to mind, Gator RC http://www.gatorrc.com/ and ACP http://www.deltronix.com/public/acp/acp-cat.htm

Many other can be find with a search.

Finishing Epoxy is more fluid than any other epoxy, like the ZAP, not that hard to sand but it's still epoxy and time and patience is the only way to do it....oh ya I forgot a lot of sanding paper to

There's probably other kind by I have been using the ZAP stuff for years.

Daniel D.