Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

super charger

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

super charger

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 02:34 AM
Rich28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default super charger

Hi

What are super chargers like?? I was told that a YS60 with a super charger producers heaps of power.

What do you think?
Old 01-15-2005, 11:32 AM
bako

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: super charger

supercharger is air compressor, connected to axle for rotating. it pushes more air in cilinder.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:52 AM
peter_m

Baicaly it forces more more fuel and air in to cylinder faster thus super charged
Old 01-15-2005, 02:41 PM
powertoys
My Feedback: (2)

If your talking the YS60, it is not supercharged. It is just a great two stroke, especially with a tuned pipe. If you are talking YS63 then your talking supercharged with a regulated pressurized fuel system (sometimes called pumped). The pressurized fuel system is awesome, you can put the tank in the tail of the plane and not worry about fuel delivery as you would with an exhaust pressure system. The YS produces about 8psi on the fuel. It also uses a rotary valve in the crankcase to cycle between intake of carb and forcing the air/fuel into the header up to the intake valve. Unlike a car supercharger (roots system) that has twin rotating impellers to constantly force fuel and air into the manifold, the YS uses the up and down stroke of the piston with the rotary valve to do the same function. Stroke one (up/ignition) valve lines up with carb piston goes up sucks in air/fuel then valve rotates to header. Stroke two (down/power stroke) piston forces air/fuel into header. Stroke three (up/exhaust) valve again lines up with carb closing off header and piston draws in more air/fuel mixture. Stroke four (down/ set up for next stroke one) valve rotates to header, piston comes down forcing second air/fuel mix into header with the first air/fuel mix while the intake valve opens up to let in both air/fuel charges. Thus instead of only one air/fuel mix like other engines you get two, or in other words supercharged. Hence why my YS63 will spin the same prop at almost the same RPM (150 RPM less) as my Saito 91. Plus pattern guys like the YS because they can put the fuel tank back at the CG point and the attitude of the plane doesn't change during flight. Hope this helps.

Mike