Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Loss of Lift ?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Loss of Lift ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 03:13 PM
Kasowitz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of Lift ?

Ok guys, What are the standard causes for an electric Heli to lose lift ? Battery, motor, gears, bearings, blades? I have a Megatech Housefly which has flown several times very well, but started to lose lift. First I could only get the heli about 2 feet in the air, now I can only make the heli light on its landing skids and move across the floor, not more than a few cm above the ground. Whats going on here ? Is my battery going bad ? Thanks for any ideas.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:22 PM
Kasowitz

Default RE: Loss of Lift ?

Problem is the Battery. Im not getting a good charge []
Old 01-16-2005, 09:14 PM
CRich917

How are you going to fix this problem?? what type of battery are you using? I have a Honeybee 2 did you let your battery get to low? i just got into is great hobby so i dont know much ... Thanks Chris
Old 01-18-2005, 12:24 PM
CostaRica1

I have a X-Effect heli (very similar to house fly), I overcharged the batterie a few day ago and the heli seems to be in love with the floor...Is really a damaged batterie a cause for this to happend ?
Old 01-18-2005, 12:50 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What type of battery (type, cell count and capacity) do you have? What type of charger are you using?
Yes, an underperforming battery pack is a sure way to get stuck in ground effect. There are also a lot of other issues that can rob power and keep you from generating proper lift.
Gear Mesh
Blade Tracking
Balance or Vibrations
Binding in linkages
Motor Wear
Bad motor magnets from large overheating

Probably more. Identifying and correcting the source of power loss is a part of the learning curve you have to drag yourself through. Keep reading and asking questions. We will help.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:28 PM
sunderll
My Feedback: (2)

All above info is very good, and I might suggest to try and determine if you're rotor RPM has decreased. When you have a good new battery, the blades look and sound as if they are really going very fast, but at the end of the flight, they are quiet and seem and sound dramatically slower. A tach would be a great troubleshooting tool and they are cheap. Do you have another battery to compare to. That also would be good money spent..
Old 01-18-2005, 05:24 PM
JohnY2004

I could be wrong. The reason why the stock battery (2 cell li-poly) went out of service so soon due to the wrong voltage charging the battery. The specs for the stock charger: output, 9V DC and 1000mA. But the actually output voltage was 11.4V measured after a diode.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:43 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: JohnY2004

I could be wrong. The reason why the stock battery (2 cell li-poly) went out of service so soon due to the wrong voltage charging the battery. The specs for the stock charger: output, 9V DC and 1000mA. But the actually output voltage was 11.4V measured after a diode.
I am a little confused, JohnY2004. What are you talking about? Are you trying to add to the discussion started by Kasowitz or are you trying to ask about something you have experienced?

What charger are you talking about?