Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Not enought pitch on Honeybee2 !?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Not enought pitch on Honeybee2 !?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 05:08 AM
kier30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not enought pitch on Honeybee2 !?

Have a problem with Esky honeybee2 6Ch, When I first got the Heli it would take off fine with about 60% throttle, aftere a couple light "dings" I have to wind the throttle up to 100% and even then it struggles to get off the ground (trim is right up). It has masses of rotor speed but seems not enough pitch.

Is there anyway of adjusting the pitch curve either by the electronic mixing (4 in 1) or a mechanical tweak that I can do to get it airbourne again?

If if play with the gain on the reciever will this giving me more "pitch mixing"??

Please help anyone want to go flying again!
Old 01-04-2005, 06:55 AM
pileit

Default RE: Not enought pitch on Honeybee2 !?

Take a close look at your swashplate. A very common prob is the upper half pulling apart from the lower half.This prevents the blades from going to full pos pitch. A small drop of ca or super glue on the(inside) bearing race then press together will fix you up.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:12 AM
kier30

Thanks for the advice, I had that problem and resolved with CA, But I dont think its related to that as the whole swash plate is not moving down as much as it did when I first got it. I think it is to do with the elctronic pitch pixing??
Old 01-04-2005, 07:21 AM
pileit

heres something to try to get a better look at the problem.unplug both motors then plug in batt. go to full throttle and see if all three servos pull down equally and measure pitch.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:59 AM
kier30

Thanks for the advice, but have alreday tried that, and yes they are pulling down equally, only 2 or 3mm though. When I first got it it was alot more than this. Any ideas??
Old 01-04-2005, 09:04 AM
pwterry

Do you turn the collective trim up after getting the green light on the 4-in-one?

Have you checked that there is no binding in the swashplate/head area (lubricate the main shaft where the swashplate slides, loosen up connecting rod ends)?
Old 01-04-2005, 09:59 AM
kier30

Have tried trimming up and trim down when light is green on 4-1 made little difference to be honest. Had the whole Rotor head assembly broken down that didnt do the trick either, do you know if there is anyway I can adjust the electronic mixing in the 4-1 to give a more aggresive pitch curve??
Old 01-04-2005, 12:31 PM
pileit

Sorry I haven't given you the winning clue[sm=confused.gif].To the best of my knowledge the only adjustments on the 4n1 system are, gain-how fast the heli will respond to inputs & proportion- the ratio of power going to each motor.How bout it you pros, i'm stumped.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:05 PM
Poll

I think a few other's have had your problem, including me, but my hb2 never lift off at 60%.... I forced my hb2 to have full pitch by moving a slot down on the servo arms, but this still doesn't help... I'm looking into a new main motor (brushed). To bad helihobby's out of the 370 I wanted. =\ I'm going to go off a ledge here and order a $50 motor, I'll tell you how it goes in a few days. God help me if it doens't work (nagging fiance)
Old 01-05-2005, 03:26 AM
kier30

I had a idea last night, which im going to try. If I "wind in" the three control arms on the rotor head this should increase the pitch of the heli by bringong down the swash plate?! I will give it a go and let you know. This is when I can find a U.K. supplier of parts because I smashed the rotor head last night!! (
Old 01-05-2005, 05:00 PM
Crash+Burn

Use Google and enter exactly ( E-Sky 5005 Parts ) There are a few sites from the UK there. I needed some parts and when I went to order it was all in Euro and Pounds.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:58 PM
Rsolty

Are you sure that your original pitch movement was originally more than the 2-3mm (lever arm movement) as you suggest in your previous posting. I too have a HB2 and although it flies fine, I too only get about 2-3 mm of lever arm movement across the throttle range. Maybe the fault lies elsewhere not the controller
Old 01-05-2005, 08:13 PM
tanasit

You can get more (or less) pitch by adjusting the length of the linkage (rods) runing from the blade grip to the top see-saw. It is easier to remove the link from the top then adjust equally on both sides to keep the tracking true. I add mine about 1 and a half turn. I also tried the flat bottom blades which give a better lift than the symmetric ones but good for learning to hover.
My stock motor works fine even with 1800 mAH pack, so I am not moving up for power.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:47 PM
sunderll
My Feedback: (2)

tanasit is absolutley correct. I did that and have mine dialed in perfectly. It takes just seconds to adjust those links and I have the perfect collective control throughout the entire range. Also, as the battery runs down. you'll have to puch the collective stick higher up which increases the angle of attack on those blades, hence causing more torque to be applid to the aircraft, hence changing your tail rotor trim slightly..Also, the swash plate separation is a certanty after any mishap. I can snap mine back in polace now in about 5 seconds..obviously after many crashes..
Old 01-14-2005, 11:26 PM
pileit

Hey sunderll,a drop of superglue on the inner race will end that swashplate prob. You don`t want it popping loose in flight.BTW i`m from ocala fl ,how bought you?
Old 01-18-2005, 10:04 PM
rbushman3

Please read if you cannot get lift with honeybee 2

I would be willing to bet that it is pin just under the main blades. I have broke mine a few times now and everytime my honeybee 2 wouldn't lift off, it was becasuse of that pin. Directly above the swashplate, you will see 2 small holes in the plastic. The lower hole contains a pin that acts like a sheer pin. If you hit something with the blades or set it down hard, it will sheer the pin, causing no lift. Also, you'll notice the blades will not spin as fast, that is because the blades and the main shaft are no longer one.

To fix you'll have to unscrew the big screw on top of the rotor assembly and pull the blades and the whole rotor assembly off of the main shaft (you may have to remove as much of the pin as possible with pliers to get the assembly off). Also, you'll have to unsnap the ball joints off of the swashplate. Then remove the broken pin (you may have to take a small needle or something similar and push broken pin out). Put the assembly back on the main shaft (line up the holes to make it easier) and replace with new wire approximently same size. If the new wire is looser, you may have to bend the ends a little to get it to stay.

Sounds difficult, but i can do it in about 2 minutes now. You'll figure it out.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:14 PM
sunderll

Hi all!! Just a quick news flash...I just received a package from Heli Hobby. I have several HBs, one of which is the Honeybee FP. It's the newer wood blade fixed pitch one. I decided to order some new blades as the other ones have hit pretty much everything in my house. They were beat to death and although the heli flew OK the blades looked looked terrible, and despite many balancing tricks were shaking pretty badly. Now that I've gotten to the point where hitting things is not happening nearly as much, I ordered some new ones for the HB FP. I got them from the blade page at Heli hobby and they are PART#WB224. These are the inexpensive flat bottom blades. I'm waiting one some parts for my FP, so I decided to try them on my Honeybee 3D. Those blades on the 3D are looking grim after my many attempts at inverted flight. I can do it some for a few seconds, but it aint pretty I tried these blades on my 3D heli, and it has never flown so good. Between the huge lifting force AND the collective, the vertical control was super precise, silky smooth and effortless and very brisk.. 1000 times better than the symetrical blades. The heli is absolutley vibration free, sounds like a sewing machine and flies perfectly. I'm experimenting with the pitch links and have decreased the angle of attack substantially, since it initially took off with a very low throttle setting, which had me concerned about loading the motor anf 4 in 1 too much. It nows sounds and flies like the other blades as far as the RPM, throttle position. I've ordered the same thing but symetrical, as the quality of these blades seem so good and for only $14, I couldn't believe it..I can't wait to try them on the FP. Haven't flown them outdoors with any speed, so I'm not sure about the pitch-up issue, but they claim the design reduces that tendency, I'll send results when I get outside... I've enclosed a pic of the ad. I hope this helps..best of luck and happy flying..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85238.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	217320  
Old 01-19-2005, 01:14 AM
pileit

hey sunderll,I also did the trick with the blades.After several short flights>1min.I took the plunge-lifted to eye level hover and then set off around my front yard-its 2 acres so it was a good flight 1.5 +min. good control no pitch up. after landing i was walking over to pick up heli(throttle off)when esc section of 4in 1 smoked-fet popped. waiting for parts AGAIN.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:24 AM
sunderll

Bummer on the smoked 4 in 1. Were therse the flat bottom blades. Did you change the blade links. I'm trying to get a feel for the various changes that can be made..HOpe it works better next time..Almost all of my flying is hovering inside since it's been so windy lately...
Old 01-19-2005, 09:26 AM
pileit

sunderll-Yes they were flat bottom wood blades gotum on ebay for 9.95/5.00 ship.They went on with no mods.I try to fly early morn/late afternoon to beat wind.Prob different for you if you are close to coast.Mornings have been chilly tho.Well the down time gives me time to catch up on my fishing .
Old 01-19-2005, 05:25 PM
I & C Tech

You Florida peeps need to shush!
Old 01-19-2005, 10:41 PM
pileit

aw come on tech-sounds like u need a trip to the mouse house