Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Hobby Room Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 06:00 PM
Broken

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hobby Room Help

Since nearly all of you fly big planes I am assuming that most of you also have dedicated hobby rooms or garage shops that you use to support this addiction.

I am in the middle of a basement remodel and have allocated a room for my hobbie's it is 14' X 12" and is all I could get from the wive.... and kids....

This is what I know- I will have a corner table for working on and building aircraft. I will also have an island on wheels in the middle for other building projects with drawers for storage etc..

WHAT I REALLY NEED IS THIS:

What are some creative storage and organization ideas that you have come up with that makes things better. what things did you do in your rooms or wish you did.. Please send any info to me you can I have only a few weeks to decide on the details..

Thanks in advance everyone....

Post here or E-mail pics or ideas to me directly [email protected]
Old 01-19-2005, 06:13 PM
CrashBurn69
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hobby Room Help

One thing I did was go to Lowes and look in the closet shelf department and got the white metal shelf rods and the white hanging brackets that fit in them. That way, I can just use a little piece of foam right where the plane sets on it and stack them right up the wall. It makes storage so much easier.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:06 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any place a wing can be hung rather than stood, do so. Ceilings are great for fuselages. Shelving under and over the work bench, but leave enough room for working on tall tail feathers. Parts bins are life savers.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:37 PM
compute42
My Feedback: (15)

I built my 27% extra in my apartment in NYC... Had about an 8x10 area... Real estate is PRIME here sadly!
Get some of those cheap bookshelfs from IKEA, they are made outa 4x1's or somthing like that, great for work rooms, they are unfinished wood. I built airplane hangers from PVC pipe, couple articles on here about it, check it out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98909.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	217675  
Old 01-19-2005, 08:00 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

If your going to be building Large or "Giant Scale " planes you might as well scrap the "corner table" idea and plan on a large "Island " type bench so you'll have
adequate working room all the way around the plane . The big planes are not as easy to flop around on the bench as the small ones and it would be easier to have
access all the way around .
If you can manage , a 6 to 8 foot bench 24 to 32 inches wide works very well and you can have plenty of storage space underneath .
you may want to make it "roll a round" so you can utilize your basement area as effectively as possible.
A fixed work bench for band saws , drill press , etc.. may be better placed in the corner or wall areas .
Old 01-19-2005, 09:51 PM
Broken

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the big table will fly BUT I think by attacking anchor points on both ends I will be able to use a PVC cradle similar to the ones I use for transportation..

I will keep the corner table because I have a small ryobi bandsaw and drill press. And the shelves for wings and smaller planes are definetly a must..

Also-How about this ceiling fan...!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17504.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	217751  
Old 01-19-2005, 09:55 PM
JaredM25
My Feedback: (26)

JUst dont pick up your plane and chop the tail off!
Old 01-20-2005, 05:44 PM
the-plumber

ORIGINAL: Broken
Since nearly all of you fly big planes I am assuming that most of you also have dedicated hobby rooms or garage shops that you use to support this addiction.
The current hobby room thread in the Scratch Building forum might be worth your while.