Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

CMPro Mosquito flight report

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

CMPro Mosquito flight report

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 07:04 PM
spitmad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CMPro Mosquito flight report

Hey Guys anyone out there flown a CMPro Mossie as yet?

My flight report as follows:-

My first model weighed in at 6.5kg (14lbs) with 1kg (2.2lbs) of ballast in the nose to balance it! The instructions stated 4.8 to 5kg flying weight!!!

I installed 2 x .46 LA's hoping this would provide plenty of grunt (the box recommends .25 to .32 size motors!) but after the first couple of flights I quickly realized, that whilst scale flight was possible there was no reserve of power and flights had to be kept very flat and long shallow climb outs were necessary. Take offs on grass, whilst looked very scale, took nearly 80m of strip to get airspeed up and were very nerve racking as the model looked like it was right on the brink of stalling.
I'm now on my second after destroying the first deaded sticked number one engine heading down wind, this caused the fatal "twin" spin........but you live and learn
My second model now has two OS .46FXs in place of the LA's and man what a difference, take offs are not a problem as are slow rolls and loops!!!. Level flight at full throttle the Mossie has the speed of a pylon racer !!! Now I just have to get the landing speed down to a more comfortable level....

Conclussion..

The CMpro Mossie looks sensational in the air but is much heavier than stated and has quite a high wing loading as a result, if you are looking at building a Mosquito I would suggest you install either .46 size engines or .70 f/s . Also the stated CG is wrong (I nearly destroyed my first as it was very tail heavy) so double check that you take the CG distance on the outside of the engine nacelle

Happy flying
Old 01-30-2005, 08:23 PM
kram
My Feedback: (7)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: CMPro Mosquito flight report

Hey! Great to hear from the Southern Hemisphere!

Where did you get the kit, etc.?

Would love to see pictures, if you have them.

Not that a P-38 enthusiast has any room to critique wing-loading, but 20% of the finished weight for nose lead sounds huge, especially for a small plane. Was it the design or the build, or something else? Is there any way to take weight off the tail? Servos? Tailwheel? Move nacelles forward?

46 FX's are some of my favorite glow engines. They really can haul the mail, but no amount of power will cure the characteristic ills of heavy wing-loading you describe, esp. engine-out and landing behavior.

mt
Old 01-31-2005, 03:55 PM
spitmad

The kit is sold here in Australia thru Model Engines (the CMPro distributer) and retails for around $480.00 AUD.

I tried to keep as much weight out of the tail as possible however the problem lies in the model's long tail moment and short nose section. No amount of servo repositioning will fix the weight distribution problem, I even called the editor of one of our flight mags that tested the aircraft (powered by 2 x 32 f/s) and he said they even had to put a Kilo (2.2 lubs) in the nose to balance the beast.

Anyway, as stated previously it flew on .46LA's but with no authority so I transplanted the FX's and bingo!, a real performer.
Other mods included 10oz fuel tanks (replacing the 6oz supplied) and reinforcement of the U/C mounts and installion of Spring Air retracts, I also added some invasion stripes to the underside as it tends to disapear against a grey sky.

I'll post some pics of it in flight ASAP
Old 01-31-2005, 06:26 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems your experienc is much different that that of this thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/DeHa...2007938/tm.htm
Pretty sure it is the same model.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:09 PM
spitmad

Yeah I saw that thread after posting this one, it seems there were a litany of problems with some models (ie structural failures), I must have purchased the upgraded model with the ply spars as my model is rock solid.
Their were a number of guys who had issues with it being underpowered when using the recommended engine sizes (as I found out) and some had problems with the CG also.