Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

IMAC world championships?? Why isn't there one

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2002, 11:06 PM
3DMike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMAC world championships?? Why isn't there one

Why is there a F3A world championships, control line world champs and even a free flight world champs yet no Imac WC. Sure we have the invitational comps such as the toc and reginal comps but why not an international country based contest running along the same plan as F3A, the best 3-4 pilots from each country competing. Just wondering...
Old 09-15-2002, 11:18 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

One word. Money,
Have you any idea how much it would cost to take a large IMAC aircraft on an airline. The TOC guys get paid all of them.
Old 09-15-2002, 11:41 PM
3DMike

Why does it have to be 40%, why not set a limit say 2.5 meters on wingspan much like the f3a limits. There are full size aerobatic world champs and they seem to be able to ship and transport there aircraft around the world, of course it involves money but I still don't think transportation of the airframes should be the limiting factor. Imac should be able to draw good sponsors as its quite public friendly.
Old 09-16-2002, 01:45 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by aerografixs
One word. Money,
Have you any idea how much it would cost to take a large IMAC aircraft on an airline. The TOC guys get paid all of them.
Um.. No they don't. TOC competitors must cover their own expenses to and from Las Vegas. The only thing paid for by the hotel is their room for 7 days.

Doug Cronkhite
Team JR
Old 09-16-2002, 11:56 AM
Forgues Research

Doug,
I didn't say there expenses are paid, I said they get a check from the Sahara.
Old 09-16-2002, 12:14 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I guess I viewed the TOC as the world championships. Contestants from around the world fly or at least that is how it is promoted. Is this not true?
Old 09-16-2002, 02:15 PM
Forgues Research

Not quite, the TOC is a private competition by invitation only same as Top Gun.

If you have noticed, out of 20 ish competitors, 10 are from the States and the rest from around the world.

Where as a true world competition, that country sends who ever they want, good or not as we have seen in the past from some far away country.
Old 09-16-2002, 02:17 PM
Fly4Fun2
My Feedback: (25)

Default Do they have contests in other countries???

Forgive my ignorance, but do they have organized series of contests in other countries which follow the IMAC rules? I always thought the "International" in IMAC was because we try to immulate the IAC.

I have seen reports on IMAC contests in Canada and the USA, but never from Europe, Japan, Austrailia, etc. Are there any web sites for contests in these countries?
Old 09-16-2002, 02:36 PM
Forgues Research

Yes in Europe big time, I get regular reports from the French magazine RCM.
Old 09-16-2002, 02:57 PM
Fly4Fun2

Cool - learn something new everyday. Do they follow the same rules or do they have different ones. Is there a website?
Old 09-16-2002, 04:39 PM
Geistware

With the present drive to move IMAC away from the IAC, are we going contrary to the rest of the world?
Old 09-16-2002, 04:46 PM
Fly4Fun2

Originally posted by Geistware
With the present drive to move IMAC away from the IAC...

HUH???? What are you talking about???? If anything, I feel IMAC is closer to IAC this year than in the past. Especially with the adoption of the Intermediate class.
Old 09-16-2002, 05:51 PM
3D_CAP232

Default IMAC outside the USA

YES,
Well at least in the UK!!...hope to be competing next year if all goes to plan!!
Mind you i can't see why their isn't a F3a style international comp...have wondered about it before.
Old 09-16-2002, 06:01 PM
Geistware

Fly4Fun2,
During the fall and winter of 2001, there was a lot of discussion on sequences that were not in line with the present year IAC sequences. That is why their were about 3 different choices that were voted on. The IMAC sponsored sequences were close to the IAC 2002 sequence. The other two were member submitted. I don't know what the plan will be for the 2003 sequences.

Originally posted by Fly4Fun2

HUH???? What are you talking about???? If anything, I feel IMAC is closer to IAC this year than in the past. Especially with the adoption of the Intermediate class.
Old 09-16-2002, 06:27 PM
Fly4Fun2

Default Right, but.....

You are right - there were member submitted sequences, BUT, we are flying the ones which are closely related to IAC. The members spoke with that vote and clearly stated that we wanted to remain closely tied to what IAC does. Sequences were also voted on in previous years and will more than likely be voted on this year.
Old 09-16-2002, 11:10 PM
3DMike

I am guessing Imac is now global, In New Zealand which really is a dot on the rc map IMAC is huge, probably bigger than pattern. Its everywhere, australia, asia, europe has an huge imac following!! Just look at germany. The number of big IMAC planes is huge. Its an International sport but should there be a body controlling the world. not just the US. I think there should be fully international competition, maybe theres not the structure in place at the moment but I do think it would be a good thing.
Old 09-17-2002, 12:23 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

TOC seems good enough if you ask me. Dont they have to do sceaduled sequences like IMAC would, only a lot harder.
Old 09-17-2002, 12:33 AM
Forgues Research

I don't think TOC is good enough, because there are a lot of good pilots outhere that will never be able to compete because it strickly by invitation.
Same as with Top Gun in scale, some of the subjects should not have been there but sometimes bias will prevail.

You need some type of competition where the competitors will earn there way and not be invited.

Also, as I have said previously, with the TOC (which I love by the way) out of the 20 competitors invited, only 10 are invited from abroad, you think this is fair for an FAI world competition??
I say leave the TOC as it its, but don't suggest to make it as a world competition.
Old 09-17-2002, 12:35 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

well then someone should make a huge new event
Old 09-17-2002, 04:59 AM
3DMike

No, the TOC really is a Invitational "show" event with the best performers from the F3A world circuit and lately some of the Imac/ 3d performers. Don't get me wrong the TOC is a great event, its done great things for our hobby both with technology and flight styles but its still not a world championships.
Like in other sports you should qualify for the world champs by competing at regional, then country levels and you should represent your country. You don't win a huge monetary prize as the TOC but you win the prize of being seen as being the best in the world, i think that wins. The world champs wouldnt be huge as most of the lower pilots would be knocked out on the way to the finals. For most world champs the national bodies give a hand with the costs....
Old 09-17-2002, 09:57 PM
Norman Oliver

- I have seen reports on IMAC contests in Canada and the USA, but never from Europe, Japan, Austrailia, etc. Are there any web sites for contests in these countries?-

We fly IMAC here in Mèxico since the 2000 ... most of the active IMAC clubs are from central Mèxico.... some of our active members may will compete next year at some Texas event (Depending on schedule). We fly exactly the same patterns u fly (Based on mini-iac website).

Greetings.
Old 09-17-2002, 11:06 PM
Fly4Fun2

Hey Norman -

Are there any contests in Mexico??? How about one mid-April near Cancun

I am sure the wife would understand if I told her I was going there for a "contest"!!!
Old 09-18-2002, 11:09 PM
Norman Oliver

Yeah.... sure she would... I've heard about those "contests".... and I'm going there the next vacationship I have....!!!
Old 09-20-2002, 07:14 AM
artistic-aero

Its amazing there isn't a World IMAC style event... or even some system that could culminate in a World Showdown.
We have tried to create a World Event that apeals to all abilities with Artistic Aerobatics. I think what might give us the edge is the fact that the Class or Event has been accepted in the World Air Games 2005, so pilots can walk out holding a flag in a highly media exposed environment and perform before large(r) crowds. We also have associations with the full size version which has a series of Grand Prixs around the world, all highly attended. Infact in Brno we showed off the class amongst the full size schedules.
AA is very media friendly and also has a great crowd attraction as the rounds are short, normally no longer than 4 minutes for Final Rounds.
The class is attracting Pattern, 3D and IMAC pilots as so long as the airframe is 2m you are in!
The class is only young and we are testing out the rules and procedures, but so far, even at this stage the World Wide response has been staggering.
Old 12-25-2002, 10:45 PM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

So the TOC isn't the World championship?
Can any of you name a flyer that was not invited that could have finished in the top 7? And your opinion is based on what performance by this flyer?