Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Fuel system setup?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 02:29 PM
ThankYouVeterans
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel system setup?

Finishing out the last of my purchases and construction of a 31% Aeroworks Edge 540T. I am running a 3W 75 and 32oz tank.

I am about to set up my fuel system and was planning on buying a 3W fueler. How do you guys normally setup your fuel systems?

I plan on running a 3W 24x10 wood prop during breakin.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:34 PM
Hooked-On-RC
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Fuel system setup?

Two lines.......
Vent..... exiting the underside of the plane
The line to the carb has a large scale "T" in it for filling to a fuel dot... Between the "T" and the carb I place an inline filter but I also filter my fuel before it goes into my tank from my fuel container.

Fuellers will sometimes jam and block the flow to the engine. Keep the fuel system simple...less hassles that way.
no worries about flooding the engine with a diaphram pumped carb such as those on large gas engines
Old 03-18-2005, 04:35 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

Use a nice T and nice fuel dot like Hooked said... it's easy and works like a champ. My favorites are Tetra Ts and Madison Quality Products 1/4 turn threaded fuel dots... no prying.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:06 PM
xtreem3d
My Feedback: (1)

please be sure that you have the right stopper in the tank for gas not glow! i only mention it because i have 2 buddies w/ the same edge and same motor and your post reminded me that they used the wrong stopper and after a few flights the motors wouldn't run because the carb screen was full of deteriorated black rubber,
good luck,
steve
Old 03-18-2005, 05:25 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Ive been using a 3 line setup..same as above except no "t"..
Old 03-18-2005, 05:42 PM
the-plumber

ORIGINAL: ThankYouVeterans
I am about to set up my fuel system and was planning on buying a 3W fueler. How do you guys normally setup your fuel systems?
I use a slightly different approach than has been suggested by others . . .

I don't much care for throwing away good fuel (glow or gas) and I don't much care for overflow fuel can do to asphalt and grass runways and pit areas.

Ergo, I use a pair of lines to the tank, and use DuBro fuelers instead of "T" fittings.

I use one fueler between the tank and carb the way the fueler is supposed to be installed, for fueling and de-fueling.

I use a second fueler installed "backwards" in the tank vent line, so that it either allows normal venting (e.g. routes muffler pressure to the tank on glow engines, or allows the tank to vent normally on gas engines) or routes the tank vent to an external vent line running back to the jug in the flight box.

It's a bit goofy, but is very easy to use : plug the external "fill" line into the fueler in the tank-engine line, and plug the external "vent" line into the backwards fueler in the tank vent line.

No vented fuel hits the ground, you can see when the tank is full, and de-fueling is as easy as reversing the glow fuel pump direction, or swapping the lines on unidirectional gas pumps - relatively inexpensive aftermarket automotive electric fuel pumps.

The DuBro fuelers are "dry-break", so you don't even get fuel on your hands.

I don't worry about what the fuelers look like in the models because it's relatively easy to hide the fuelers under a hatch somewhere, or on the bottom of the model immediately behind the cowl.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:25 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Two lines with a filter between the "T" and the engine.
THe vent line has an inverted trap to keep fuel spills to a minimum.