Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

"New" brison ??????? You decide

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 10:36 PM
Skribnod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "New" brison ??????? You decide

Hi all , I just purchased this engine from a auction........ Is this normal for the top cooling"Finn" suppose to be half there? and "hard" brown crusty stuff suppose to be on fins of engine? I am new to these engines and know nothing about them. Thanks and I hope you can all help me decide whether to send it back or keep it.

Sorry forgot the pics.....got them now. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78458.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	258373   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45707.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	258374  
Old 04-14-2005, 11:21 PM
BigSkyRCFlyer
My Feedback: (36)

Default RE: "New" brison ??????? You decide

Maybe post some pics, and I'm sure some people can help you. If the engine was stated , "new" there should be no stains or varnish residue.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:34 PM
Skribnod

Also found a cracked fin 3rd fin from top. Obviously used and crashed , someone tried to clean up and make look new. Your ideas? Should I return this engine and tell the seller i don't want it .....havent sent payment yet so im still Ok.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77444.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	258390   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96895.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	258391  
Old 04-15-2005, 12:20 AM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of deal did you get on it? I see that one of the exhaust bolt holes has been repaired with a HELI COIL also.
If it was priced at half that of a new engine, I would probably keep it. If you don't have to pay for it now, send it to brison for a checkout. I would want them to check for runout on the crank first if suspect of a crash.
I hope it was'nt passed off to you as a new engine. A simple call to brison with the engine serial number may reveal some history of this gem.

Good luck
Old 04-15-2005, 12:27 AM
BigSkyRCFlyer
My Feedback: (36)

Sure does not look new to me, if you were looking for a new engine or the auction for for a "new" Engine, I'd send it back. If it was half the price, or a real good deal, I'd Keep it, but send it in for sure. I would do what RCDude said. Send it in, see what brison has to say and then either pay the guy, or send it back. Good Luck.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:36 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The blue anodized case tells me that the engine is AT LEAST two years old. No Brison has ever come new from Gary with broken fins. He takes a lot of pride in his work. What you have is a well used engine that has been cleaned up enough to sell to someone that was both unsuspecting and lacked knowledge of gas engines.

If it has not been damaged internally, it should run just fine, but the cracked cooling fins would make me want to call Gary or James at Brison R/C Engines and then send it back for a good check up. There are a couple of small parts on the crank that could have been damaged in an engine first ground impact contact or prop strike.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:29 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I would not worry about the crusty stuff.
I will say that the top fin was broken off.
It probably will not effect the ability to keep the engine cool.
If it runs good, then enjoy
Old 04-15-2005, 08:43 AM
Skribnod

Thanks for the info guys. The gentleman advertised it as NEW and wanted $300 for it without ignition. The engine was shipped to me prior to paying for it and now I think I will send it back. GOOD eye RCDUDE..... i didnt even see the heli coil ! Thanks for the help guys but instead of spending the extra money to have it checked out I think I will just send it back. Thanks again.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:23 AM
Johng
My Feedback: (4)

I just had a blue-case in with Brison for a post-crash check. Mine has a very similar broken fin. I really doubt that is new. Look in thru the exhaust port. THe piston top will have carbon on it if it's been run. Brison is a good outfit. THey'll make sure it's all straight. They replaced bearings, new piston ring, honed the cyl, straightened some things, checked the crank, and test ran the engine for $115 shipped back to me. It still has the broken fin, but otherwise I feel as if I have an as-new engine.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:48 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I missed the helicoil as well.
It is obvious!
Old 04-15-2005, 01:12 PM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good idea to send it back. New ignition is over $100. Add that to the $300 price and you can practically get a brand new one with warranty. I got nailed on a Brison sold as low runtime/excellent condition and ended up spending more on it than a new one would cost!
Old 04-15-2005, 05:57 PM
buchtes
My Feedback: (7)

who is the clown which is trying to sell you that engine for $300.00, offer him $ 50.00, if he does'nt sell it, recommend to use it for a anchor. If you get it for $ 50, send it to Gary for a total Overhaul.
Broken fin's, helicoil in exhaust port, I suspect a damaged front bearing, maybe more???
Old 04-15-2005, 08:45 PM
ChickenStick Rick
My Feedback: (674)

If this was bought on ebay and the seller was awschucks, he is a pretty honest fellow. Send it back to him stating the obvious reason and you should have no problems. I also agree though the engine definately not new.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:55 PM
Skribnod

Chickenstick....you hit it right on the head ! The seller was awschucks and the engine ws advertised as NEW. The picture was even taken from the opposite side of the damaged to the engine. I will be sending it back but not at my expense, the engine is missing a fin , got another fin cracked ( 3rd one down) and has a helicoil in the exhaust bolt area. Unkown what else is wrong with it. I Think this was very misleading and somehow he had to obviously know it had prior damage. As you have said he is a "pretty honest fellow" but this makes me wonder if I would have gotten my money back if I had sent it! Well just had to add my 2cents worth.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:52 AM
ukrconsul
My Feedback: (1)

If he sent it to you without payment - so, he is "pretty honest". Otherwise you wouldn’t have a choice now.