Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

power box question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 08:42 AM
ericeffs
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power box question

I am changeing receavers from JR to Futaba. Will I have to reprogram my powerbox? Multiple servos on one surface are my concern.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:51 AM
Richi-d

Default RE: power box question

Hi,
you just have to reprogramm the Powerbox if there are different end and zero positions from one to the other receiver...you will see it if you just switch on your system.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:35 PM
Kevin Tran

Richi,
I have a question for you. Currently I have 2 Li-Ion batteries directly connected to Powerbox Champion. The charge wires are also soldered to the multiplex connectors in piggytail fashion. Do I have to disconnect the multiplex connectors from the powerbox when I charge the battery?

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 04-20-2005, 05:03 PM
Hooked-On-RC
My Feedback: (16)

Well that is a question to ask the manufacturer. I have the EMCOTEC DPSI unit from Desert Aircraft and I have to disconnect the batteries from the unit when I charge the batteries. It has something to do with the peak sensing mechanisms on the charger I think. I use a Fromeco 3 channel battery charger and Fromeco Lith Ion batteries and charge all three at once after it is disconnected from the DPSI. All I did was solder in High Current Deans connectors inline with each battery, when I charge I disconnect them there and I cannot not reconnect them as my DPSI will sense a battery is missing and sound an alarm. These DPSI/Powerbox units are the Cat's Pyjamas!
Old 04-20-2005, 09:05 PM
Kevin Tran

Hooked-On-RC,
Richi is the technical support guy for PowerBox Systems. I am sure I am asking the right guy. Technically, it should be OK but I just want to make sure.

Kevin
Old 04-20-2005, 09:22 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coupling the battery negative (-) or grounds may cause problems as noted above, specifically of some peak detection chargers for NiCD/NiMH applications. Some equipment installations allow the battery negative leads to be coupled continuosuly via the switches. Peak chargers charge with constant current to voltage delta or peak and terminate charge.

Lithium chargers work with a different charge principal and or regimen which may negate the problem realized of peak chargers.
Lithium chargers use constant current, ramping to a selected voltage (based on cell count) -> then charge at constant voltage to the pre-set termination voltage based on cell count.

Powerbox and Emcotec equipment appears to allow ground coupling.

Powerbox gear:

battery 1 -> regulator @ 5.90V -> double decoupling diode single housing \
-----------------------------------------------------------------------> = one output voltage
battery 2 -> regulator @ 5.85V -> double decoupling diode single housing /

Emcotec gear:

battery 1 -> single decoupling diode -> regulator -> single decoupling diode \
------------------------------------------------------------------------> = one balanced output voltage
battery 2 -> single decoupling diode -> regulator -> single decoupling diode /

FWIW: Richi-d is associated with Modelbau Deutsch Powewrbox.

Richi,

RCU policy requires you to identify your association with Modelbau if you’re going to answer questions in regard to Modlebau product, please update your signature line with the appropriate information.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:02 AM
edgeone
My Feedback: (1)

Do you need a power box on a 40% plane they never had them a few years ago so why add them now? Can't you just use two switches and two battery packs for redundency.
Old 04-23-2005, 07:11 AM
Supermod56
My Feedback: (36)

With the advent of digital servos and using 12-15 of them, power draw is a whole lot more than before. The Powerbox is a good idea for several reasons. First, it makes wiring up all those servos easier, and second, (and the biggest advantage) is you don't run all that current through the receivers, which have been known to fail under high amperage draw. Anything over 35% should have one in it, at least that's what I do. In the old days I powered the servos with a seperate battery just for this reason.

Tom