Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

pneumatic retracts

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

pneumatic retracts

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 09:47 PM
dharrell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pneumatic retracts

I am new to pneumatics. I have a TF Corsair with robarts that I bought in Perry. I am trying to get the retracts to work. I fill it to 100 psi and there seems to be a leak somewhere. I follow the troubleshooting info put out by robart and it seems thorough but I must be missing a point somewhere. When I fill the system to 100 psi, I watch the pressure guage start dropping psi immediately until empty. I insert the air canister under water and fill it directly at 100 psi and no bubbles but it looses pressure. What am I doing wrong. This is brand new tank, tubing so forth. Thanks for your feedback.
Dean
Old 03-24-2005, 12:15 AM
Redback

Default RE: pneumatic retracts

Nothing wrong, you just haven't done enough yet!

As you have already concluded you have a leak, so far you have checked the air resevoir but there's a lot to go yet.

Unless you have fitted the tank in the wing you will have a connector to join the air feed pipe from the tank to the air control valve, which is most likely in the wing somewhere. The connector and the tubing either side is a possible source of leaks.

Next you have the air control valve, something else that will need to be checked. As above this is most likely in the centre of the wing and is hopefully accessible. Check this, especially where the tubes connect. Sounds from your post that you are losing air at a fair rate so you should be able to hear the leak.

Next option is the retracts themselves plus the connecting tubing. Pay special attention to anywhere that the tubing could have got chafed or pulled around. Another likely spot is anywhere the tubing fits onto a nipple

You could also try blocking the feed to the air control valve and see if the system holds pressure. If it does the problem is outward of the point you blocked the feed.

Hope this helps

Terry
Old 03-24-2005, 12:20 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Use a spray bottle to spray water mixed with dishwashing liquid over all connections. Maybe a tee has a crack or a nipple has a leak.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:01 PM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dishwashing soap on a Q-Tip placed on all joints and connections will find the leaks.

Also check the control valve itself, especially the distance it is moved in each direction. If it is moved too far one way ot the other, it'll leak for sure.

It only has to move about 1/4" or so to work correctly.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:18 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a link to a step by step trouble shooting guide. It may help you find the problem:
http://www.robart.com/air_systems/In...leshooting.pdf

Lots more info on installation, etc here:
http://www.robart.com/air_systems/valves.aspx
Old 03-28-2005, 09:31 AM
dharrell

Thanks for all the help. I found the leak in the gear cylinder and replaced it. I put the gear back in the plane and it sort of works, better than before. Both gear (robarts) go down and lock nicely, the left retracts nicely but the right does not....it will go up partially then stop......if the wing's leading is moved to an upward attack position the right gear finishes its retraction nicely into the wheel well (by gravity??). I can't figure out why the right gear does this.....Any suggestions???
Thanks,
Dean
Old 03-28-2005, 09:36 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is either some binding on the right gear or a kink in the air line somewhere.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:20 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Try loosening the screws that hold the offending retract in place. It is possible to cause binding if the two mounting rails are not EXACTLY parallel. If it works then, you have found the cause.

Les
Old 03-28-2005, 10:31 AM
dharrell

Les,
Thanks but I am not sure what you mean......exactly at the same level??
Dean
Old 03-29-2005, 10:22 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

If one mounting flange is twisted with respect to the other, even slightly, it will cause binding. Both must be in the same plane.

Les
Old 04-24-2005, 07:53 AM
pilott34

I had the same problem with my Robart 630's. I took the retract out of the plane... then cycle it back and forth a little. I noted where any binding could be taking place. I loosened the silver screws on the sides of the retract that hold it together and readjusted. THen I took some Super Lube and greased the area between the side of the retract and the trunion. Works better now than it ever has before.

Mike