Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Giant Aeromaster Wing Problem

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Giant Aeromaster Wing Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 05:51 PM
724SP
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giant Aeromaster Wing Problem

I'm just finishing up the bottom wing for a Great Planes Giant Aeromaster. Both wing panels looked great so I decided to glue them together. Of course, just as I was finishing this critical step, baby woke up from nap, wife needed help in kitchen, etc etc. To make a long story short, I glued the two panels together with 30 min. epoxy. The wing was set over the plans and a weight was used on top of the wing to hold it flat (as recommended by the manual). Unfortunately, while I was away, the weight rolled off and the wing cured with a slight ammount of negative dihedral in it. Almost not visible, but it is there. I'd estimate that when the wing-tips are touching the building board (about 70" wing-span), the centerline of the wing is about 1/8" raised.

Questions:

When I mount the top wing to the fuse, can the inter-plane struts be adjusted to remove this slight negative dihedral?

Could I fix it by wetting the center section of the wing and use weights to flatten it out?

Should I quit worrying and just fly the plane inverted all the time? [>:]

At this point, it is impossible to separate the wing halves. There are 4 plywood joiners that go through the wing...very strong.

Any ideas???? Thanks!
Old 04-26-2005, 08:05 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Giant Aeromaster Wing Problem

As long as there is no twist in the wing I dont see where 1/8" "neg. dihedral" would be a concern .
I have seen many bipes where the upper wing or lower wing had a slight positve or negative dihedral to them and cause little or no concern at all.
The Giant Aeromaster is very tolerant of such errors in building , its a rock solid plane, but by no means a pattern ship
Finish it up and enjoy it.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:50 PM
724SP
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback, Chris! I think you're right. I'm gonna leave it alone and finish it up. I'll throw a post up after the maiden flight!

Pete
Old 04-27-2005, 11:42 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Leave it alone and finish building it, you'll never notice it in flight.