Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

My T rex Flys great!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

My T rex Flys great!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 02:27 PM
karl51
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My T rex Flys great!

Hi guys,

So after I changed my head and a few other parts to composite Parts (Black) and a few mods and now the hover is about as steady and you can get a micro-helicopter...Take a look! It flies so good I don't want to fly the helicopter because as the saying goes the question is not will I crash but when!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62490.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	267854  
Old 05-06-2005, 05:48 PM
nitroracer20

Default RE: My T rex Flys great!

hey, sounds good. Is a t-rex too much for a beginner asw far as sensitivity? I fly a sim every time I go to work at my lhs. I was told to add flybar weights and add expo.
Will it work?
Thanks
Old 05-06-2005, 06:45 PM
predman
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I have a Trex and the thing is the best electric Heli out there!!! I think so anyway!!! I started on the dragonfly 5,#4 and a rotofly. When i lifted my trex off the ground for the first time it was bliss,this is how a heli should fly. All the experience i gained off the fp micros paid off!!! Now you need to keep in mind,it has a fast headspeed and when you crash(we all do)it may be a disaster if this is what you learn to fly on. If you can fly the micro helis you'll be able to fly just about any heli as some of those little guys are hard to control!!!
Old 05-06-2005, 09:37 PM
drzbrian
My Feedback: (2)

I agree the TRex is awesome. I could never hover my humble bee, but within two weeks of flying practice I could hover the t rex pretty well. Now I can hover a full pack, and it almost gets boring...almost!!! I love this thing!
Old 05-07-2005, 12:49 AM
rcgrinch
My Feedback: (69)

ORIGINAL: drzbrian

I agree the TRex is awesome. Now I can hover a full pack, and it almost gets boring...almost!!! I love this thing!
i think you just jinxed yourself!!!

rcgrinch
Old 05-07-2005, 05:24 AM
karl51

Hi Nitroracer20, I am also a beginer. The reason I've added the new head and other updates is because I crashed. The cost for replacement parts and upgrades is low compaired to most micro-helicopters. One company in CA sends all there orders priority mail so you will get the replacement parts within three days they also have free shipping for orders over $100.00. You can build this helicopter without upgrades and it will fly just find out of the box. Then after you get the feel of the helicopter (learn to hover) you can then buy new upgrades. Once you get the helicopter bug your hooked!!!!
Old 05-07-2005, 10:25 AM
nitroracer20

cool sounds good. Is anyone running fly bar weights though? Do they really help?
Thanks for the responces
Old 05-07-2005, 10:46 AM
rbiasi

nitroracer,
Yes, wheel collars on the flybar will mellow out the cyclic. The Honeybee 2 comes with flybar wieghts installed. It made a big difference when I took them off.

The rex does have very sensitive cyclic, but you can add flybar wieghts or neg expo to mellow it out. Another option is the new ARK-400 heli. The same guy designed both the rex and the ark-400. Initial reports are that the ARK-400 is more stable thus better for a newbie. On the other hand, I love my rex! Checkout trextuning.com and x400tuning.com (both sites are by the same guy). There is a detailed side by side comparison of the two helis. Also lots of other cool info including a step by step build guide with pics.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:31 PM
nitroracer20

Thanks for your help. I knew about t-rextuning.com and it is a great info sight. I am going to go for a simulator tomorrow and am going to buy a trex once I get enough practice.
Later
Old 05-08-2005, 10:08 AM
kagreen2k

Adding expo calms it down towards the middle of the stick thows but still leaves it open at the ends. Beginners tend to over correct and move the sticks to the end of their throw which can still spell disaster. I found the best way to calm my T-Rex was to turn the dual rates (D/R) down to %65 - 70%. This limits the travel of the servos and gives your sticks "higher resolution". I still have -5% to -10% EXP.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:40 PM
rbiasi

True. When I first got my rex I set it up following the recommendations on trextuning and a bunch of the forums. Full throw with lots of expo, 30%. I hated it! The cyclic response was worse than my Honeybe CP. Now I run with D/R at 65% and zero expo and it behaves the way I expected. But that's my preference. Everybody has their own favorite setup.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:04 PM
Tomi
My Feedback: (4)

Hey guys,,

Mine is "real" composite eCCPM. Karl, yours is the printed stuff. I have the printed flybars. Boom, frame, and tail feathers are all carbon.

Stock white tail blades for visibility. Mine is stretched. The stretched TRex flies way better than stock...

Other then that, the TRex flies nice anyway even if it's not modded.

-Tomi

Old 05-09-2005, 09:07 AM
karl51

Tomi,

The only items on my helicopter that is painted is the main rotor blades: They are wood blades covered with silk span much stronger and lighter, than wood blades covered in plastic and the other item is the skids. What you see that is black is composit. One thing that there is no mistake is that the T-rex flies great...