Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Top-Flite DC-3

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 06:12 AM
apalsson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Top-Flite DC-3

I am thinking about a TF CD-3 as my next project and my first twin. I was wondering what to expect, both in terms of kit quality, difficulty of build and flight characteristics.
I had been planning to use two OS 40LA or OS 40FX as the OS Wankel engines are quite expensive.
Any comments?

Thanks in advance

Ari Palsson
Old 04-24-2005, 11:07 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Top-Flite DC-3

Check this link:

http://www.rcdon.com/html/ec-47n__dc-3__project.html
Old 04-25-2005, 10:34 PM
multimike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a fair number of twins and multis in my collection and the only dud was a DC3, to me it is NOT a good first twin to build, the most stable, it you are into scale is a PBY, nice big thick wing, engines close together, very stable flyer good luck Mike
Old 04-25-2005, 10:45 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Ari:

If you are set on going scale for your first twin, the DC-3 is no worse than most, and better than some.

As Mike said, the PBY-5 or PBY-5A are probably the best (easiest flying) military or civilian scale planes to go for, but I really think a sport twin, deswigned as an RC plane, would be better.

If you wsant to build, the Duellist is a hard plane to beat except for the difficulty on construction; it's not a beginner's kit. Alternately, the Twin-Air 45 from Northeast Aerodynamics is an easy build, and an excellent flier.

If you want a "Squeeze-the-glue-and-shake-the-box" plane, also known as an ARF, the TwinStar is good but small, the Twin Stick from Cedar Hobbies is larger and much more aerobatic.

Any of these planes will get you used to operating twin engines, and they all handle well on a single engine.

Just my thoughts, you have to satisfy yourself.

Bill.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:25 AM
apalsson

Gents,

Thanks for the comments. I think I may still go for the DC-3, mainly because I have had a long term affinity with it and also because the challenge of the build tickles me.
I'm not so much into ARFs but like the scale build. I am attaching a photo of the plane I hope to copy.

Regards

Ari
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29307.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	263312  
Old 04-26-2005, 08:59 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Ari,

I suggest you take a look at the O.S. .32. This would be the perfect engine for this plane. As much power as most .40s but in a case that is closer to the size and weight of a .25. You will have no problem with power with the .32!
Old 04-26-2005, 11:57 AM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

Ari, I have flown two of the Top Flite DC-3s for the same gentleman. The first one had OS 40 LAs while the second one had OS 25 FXs installed.
The OS 25s flew better than the 40s and generate enough power to make single engine go arounds from botched landing approaches. Either airplane will take off in less than 100 ft on hard surface runways. Landings take about 250 plus from touch down to roll out. Just wheel them on like the real thing an all will be well.
Both engines fly the plane best at half throttle when cruising. Full throttle looks like an old pattern ship roaring around in the sky.
Landings are real straight forward with or with out flaps.
The most important things are a true airframe, proper balance and engines that idle and come off of idle in a reliable fashion.
Top end rpm is not that important. It is better to run the engines toward the rich side than risk a shutdown in flight from a lean run caused by tweaking the last rpm out of them on the ground.
For their size I think that they are good performers you should have a good time with one.
ORIGINAL: apalsson

I am thinking about a TF CD-3 as my next project and my first twin. I was wondering what to expect, both in terms of kit quality, difficulty of build and flight characteristics.
I had been planning to use two OS 40LA or OS 40FX as the OS Wankel engines are quite expensive.
Any comments?

Thanks in advance

Ari Palsson
Old 05-02-2005, 02:26 PM
apalsson

All,

Thanks for the comments re engine choice so far.
Yesterday, the kit arrived in the mail but I set it aside till I have finished the project I'm working on at the moment.

What comments are there on 4-strokes for the DC-3?

Ari
Old 05-02-2005, 03:26 PM
LaCerne
My Feedback: (16)

I'm planning on a set of Saito 40's for mine. Haven't started yet though.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:49 PM
Fastsky

I'll second OS 32SX engines for your project. They are a bit pricy but the engines are very impressive. They are very close to the same power as an 40FX. I use the same props on my 32SX as on my 40FX. They are very easy to tune, are much quieter than the 40 size engines and use way less fuel. I have one on my sons LT25 and it will haul the plane off the ground in about 25 feet and then pull the plane almost straight up! Forget the Wankel engines. They are very expensive, they don't have as power as the 32SX and like other rotary engines they are very fuel thirsty. I don't see the advantage of having one.[8D]
Old 05-04-2005, 12:09 AM
dakotapusher
My Feedback: (2)

I'm flying mine with OS 52 FS. AC is 11.3 pounds and is overpowered, I typicaly fly at 1/2 throttle. Two 40 FS' s would haul it around very nicely and still fly on one engine.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:18 PM
apalsson

I agree, the 32 SX is not a cheap engine. I have found it for $125 whereas the 40LA can be had for $59

The 32 is 10mm smaller though, so it shouldn't stick out of the cowlinfs as much as the 40 will.

Ari
Old 05-05-2005, 04:21 PM
bokis

ive been flying my marutaka dc 3 with 2xsaito 30 and the power is enough for me..its the same size
as TF -dc3 but i dont know if it weighs less,however,it sounds and flies great with this setup and it is easy to
land with these engines running,you can have a little bit higher idle and still get the speed down..
tried it at first with os 40 and i didnt like it at all then,too fast for my taste/bokis
Old 05-07-2005, 07:36 AM
LarryS

I've flown mine with saito .52's for a couple of years. Mine is heavy and flies that way - glassed wings and fuse, but at 1/2 throttle on a low flyby - it looks and sounds great. Pretty well mannered overall, but it has its moments. I've flown mine with a guy who had .25's and about 4 lbs less weight - loops, rolls, touch and go's - it really flew well. No way I'd try in mine what he did in his - weight is the key.

Larry
Old 05-07-2005, 08:27 AM
LarryS

Here is mine. Thx, Larry
[img][/img]

Name:	Pn38003.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	268172  
Old 05-07-2005, 03:23 PM
apalsson

Looks good Larry,

All I'm concerned about is the cylinder heads sticking out too far
Old 05-08-2005, 07:08 PM
Fili

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

ORIGINAL: multimike

I have a fair number of twins and multis in my collection and the only dud was a DC3, to me it is NOT a good first twin to build, the most stable, it you are into scale is a PBY, nice big thick wing, engines close together, very stable flyer good luck Mike
I have to agree, I don't think this kit is a good first twin. My Martuka P38 flew better than this kit. I had Tower hobies .40s plenty of power. At slower speeds, mine tended to tip stall. Had to come in hotter than usual and needed plenty of ground speed for take off.
(she sure was pretty though!)

Name:	Ql34420.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	268847  
Old 05-09-2005, 01:21 PM
apalsson

ORIGINAL: Fili
I have to agree, I don't think this kit is a good first twin. My Martuka P38 flew better than this kit. I had Tower hobies .40s plenty of power. At slower speeds, mine tended to tip stall. Had to come in hotter than usual and needed plenty of ground speed for take off.
(she sure was pretty though!)
I appreciate your comments re the suitability of the DC-3 as a first twin but I'm probably more interested in the actual build than the flying of it.
I have access to plenty of help with the flying aspect and am looking forward to spending many hours trying ro replicate a particular DC3

Thanks for the comments though

Ari
Old 05-09-2005, 02:17 PM
jaka

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi!
The key to having a successful twin is to build it light! Not just putting the kit together glueing part A to part B.
Being very cautious to what you use regarding material and equipment and always asking yourself: "Do I really need this part", "Does this part serve any purpouse", Does this part have to be this thick/large/heavy/ etc", "Can I make this part lighter by using any other material" (like glass and carbon). These are the questions I always ask myself when I build my airplanes.

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Old 05-09-2005, 06:30 PM
jug8000

I have DC3 and i have 2 Magnum 52s 4str flys great .
It weights 9.5lbs dry and 10lbs full of feul.