Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

110vac on trailer

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

110vac on trailer

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 10:30 PM
WingShot
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 110vac on trailer

I'm wanting to add a 110vac receptacle to the outside of a trailer so I can plug in a drop cord to power chargers and what not.

Has anyone done this? No sense in re-inventing the wheel. I'd appreciate any insight, comments, or even pictures if anyone's done it.

Thanks,
Josh
Old 05-09-2005, 01:15 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 110vac on trailer

Josh....without a generator, I think I'd use an outdoor covered recepticle on
the outside....everything on the inside wired as per normal. Then make an
extension cord with two male ends on it, and just plug it in.

FBD.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:45 AM
WingShot

Thanks for the suggestion. I'd rather not have deadman's cord laying around. Especially given that I'm a bit accident prone

I found something called a straight blade inlet, which is a recessed male extension cord plug. Then I could wire it as normal. I may look around an RV/camper store and see what else I can find I guess.

Josh
Old 05-09-2005, 05:50 PM
the-plumber

ORIGINAL: WingShot

Thanks for the suggestion. I'd rather not have deadman's cord laying around. Especially given that I'm a bit accident prone

I found something called a straight blade inlet, which is a recessed male extension cord plug. Then I could wire it as normal. I may look around an RV/camper store and see what else I can find I guess.

Josh
I prefer twist-lock fittings, like http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/pro...605445&ccitem=

Mount it in a waterproof box in the trailer wall, cover with the listed cover, and make up a suitable cord with the L5-20R female on one end and whatever you want on the feed end.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:30 AM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

I went to Home Depot and bought two weatherproof receptacle covers and a couple of 6-32 x 2" stainless machine screws with nylock nuts. I drilled a hole in the corner of my trailer floor and mounted the covers above and below the floor - thus sealing both sides. I then just use a regular outdoor extension cord to run power out to the trailer. Cheap, easy and effective.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:57 AM
WingShot

Teachu2, I'm headed in that direction as well. I think having a retractable extension cord in the trailer that I can flip a receptacle cover open on the outside of the trailer, extend the cord out, and plug in will be easier than going into the garage each time and running an extension cord out to the trailer. Plus, the extension cord will always be in the trailer for use at the field during the big fly-ins.

Why did you seal both sides of the trailer wall? Both sides open up for the cord to pass through, right? Do you feed the cord into both the boxes each time?

Josh
Old 05-10-2005, 02:15 AM
Teachu2

Didn't use boxes, just covers. Seals the hole in the floor from both sides. I lift the inside, push the cord thru the floor and out the bottom one.

Old 05-10-2005, 02:19 AM
Teachu2

Go to homedepot.com and look at
Raco
Single Gang GFCI Weatherproof Plate
Model 5101-0.

Internet/Catalog # 331830
Store SKU# 422223
Old 05-10-2005, 03:00 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: WingShot

Josh
I have a trailer with the outdoor type electrical receptacle on the outside of the
trailer....it is a male recepticle....the female end of an extension cord plugs
right into it. They do exist, but I've never seen one for sale. If this type were
not to be found, a regular female outdoor style receptacle could be mounted
on the side of the trailer....and a short double male ended "dead-man" pigtail
could be made up to connect the extension cord to the receptacle.

FBD.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94633.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	269415  
Old 05-10-2005, 09:10 AM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flyboy,
You can find that receptical at Freightliner truck dealerships. You can purchase it in black plastic or chrome. It is used on large trucks to run 110 volt engine heaters when the trucks are plugged up during cold nights.

I sell trucks at a Freightliner dealer to support my RC PLANE hobbie... uh... addiction.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:46 PM
Teachu2

It's $46 from Freightliner. I like my method, as it is quick, simple, flexible, easy and CHEAP. If I were building a trailer, I'd have gone with the recptacle, but it was way too much work to retrofit in my trailer.