Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Dupli-color Fuelproof ?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Dupli-color Fuelproof ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 01:46 PM
Paternguy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dupli-color Fuelproof ?

I have started painting my new Dirty Birdi with dupli-color Van/Suv acrylic lacquer, based on suggestions, I have read on these boards, indicating that this paint was fuel proof. However after reading some older posts I see some mixed reviews. I see that the dupli-color clear engine enamel is fuel proof, but can this be sprayed over the lacquer i have already used ? Has anyone used the Clear lacquer Suv/Van from Dupli-color ? What were your results ?

Please help.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:43 PM
Campy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dupli-color Fuelproof ?

ORIGINAL: Paternguy

I have started painting my new Dirty Birdi with dupli-color Van/Suv acrylic lacquer, based on suggestions, I have read on these boards, indicating that this paint was fuel proof. However after reading some older posts I see some mixed reviews. I see that the dupli-color clear engine enamel is fuel proof, but can this be sprayed over the lacquer i have already used ? Has anyone used the Clear lacquer Suv/Van from Dupli-color ? What were your results ?

Please help.
The Dupli-Color ACRYLIC lacquer and enamels are fuel proof. If it is labled ACRYLIC it is fuel proof.

For compatibility - you can put enamel over lacquer, you CAN NOT PUT LACQUER OVER ENAMEL. The lacquer will craze and will also cause the underlying enamel to craze.

If what you will be using is definitely a lacquer, be 110% certain that the underlying paint is a lacquer. If you are not 110% sure of the underlying paint, use an acrylic enamel.

I have used the Dupli-Color on this plane and I can verify that it is fuel proof. I left a test panel in a container of 15% nitro fuel overnite with no problems (well the unpainted part of the test panel was a "bit" soggy but the paint was fine )
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71639.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	267939  
Old 05-06-2005, 07:00 PM
Paternguy

Did you use duplicolor clear ? That is what I am hearing has problems.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:25 AM
Campy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No. The paint on the cowl (and other parts of the plane ) is the Dupli Color Truck and Van Silver/Aluminum, which is an acrylic lacquer.

I have a question though. If you have been painting with the acrylic lacquer/enamels, why do you need a clear coat to fuel proof it ?

You can also use the following to clear coat:

1. Oil base polyurethane. This is fuel proof, however, it will "yellow" after about 7 - months. The yellowing is hardly noticeable on dark colors, but it is noticable on light colors (white, etc ).

2. Water base polyurethane. This will not yellow, however, it is fuel RESISTANT. As long as you clean the plane at the end of the day you will be fine. If you let the residue sit on the plane overnite (or longer ) it will soften the poly.

The polyurethanes are definitely compatible with lacquer, enamel, latex and dope.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:20 AM
Paternguy

Because I hate paint lines, and I love a nice clear coat that lets you look a mile deep into a paint job. I haven't done a paint job in years, now I remember why. LOL
Old 05-10-2005, 07:33 AM
Paternguy

Anyone else want to share any info on the fuel proof properties of this paint ? LOL
Old 05-10-2005, 08:14 PM
campbec

Hi Paternguy,

Isn't coincidence amazing. I have just had some leave and have my Dirty Birdy (Blue Jay Models version) progressed from two boxes of balsa to where the fuselage is glassed, empenage fitted, incidence set, the wings covered and all just about ready for paint.

I too am using automotive acrylic and from past experience have had no problem using 10% nitro fuel. However some years ago I was out of methanol (I mix my own fuel) and purchased a commercial fuel that had a red dye or witness in it. Despite rubbing the residue off immediately after flying it stained the yellow a slight red tinge on my Dynaflight PT 19 wing. I was able to polish the stain out with a polish contining a little cutting compound. I have never had this problem with my home brew of 70% methanol, 20% Coolpower Blue Oli and 10% Nitro. Higher proportions of nitro may soften the paint?

What are you powering your model with? I have an Irvine 60 for mine.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 05-11-2005, 05:13 AM
Paternguy

I have painted mine with a nice metallic red. I used rubbing compound on it, and the paint looks like glass at this point. Not bad for a rattle can. LOL. I plan on trimming it with metallic silver and either a medium blue or yellow metallic.

I am powering mine with an OPS 60 red head rear exhaust. I converted it to a tail dragger and it is set up for spring air retracts.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:14 AM
Paternguy

By the way if you don't like the ugly canopy they give you in the new kit, go here. CK 604 is what you want, it looks great on my bird.

http://www.wingmfg.com/Pages/Wac4.html
Old 05-11-2005, 05:42 PM
campbec

Hi,

Thanks for the info on the canopy. I think I will follow your lead and order one.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 05-11-2005, 09:29 PM
Paternguy

It really makes a difference in the looks of this bird. Just my opinion of course. LOL
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59719.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	270204   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14235.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	270205