Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Nelson ColorFAB

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Nelson ColorFAB

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 10:17 AM
GoldenAge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nelson ColorFAB

Anyone use this stuff? Is it lighter than Solartex?

I am looking for a fairly light weight iron on fabric to cover an 84" wingspan Flying Quaker with. I plan on using butyrate dope for trim and one or two thin coats of clear butyrate dope to finish it. I'm kind of torn between these two coverings

Thanks,

Scott
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44897.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	270840  
Old 05-17-2005, 09:14 PM
R/C Lee
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Nelson ColorFAB

Scott, I have used the Nelson Lite Fab and I really like it for smaller airplanes where weight is an issue. I find that I can "bend" it around compound curves without it wrinkling and it takes paint readily. I covered a 36" Jenny and a 36" Nieuport 28 with it and it turned out great both times. For the Nieuport, I painted it with aerogloss in a camo color scheme. The only problem I had with the paint on the Nieuport is that the roundels I made from ultracote plus don't stick very well to the aerogloss; the aerogloss sticks very well to the Lite Fab.

The only thing I would caution you about is be sure you use a fabric sealer (Sig, Coverite, etc) on the balsa before you apply the covering. I don't think it has the thickness of adhesive that Super Coverite has, but it will stick well as long as you prepare the balsa.

I haven't used Solartex, but I have used Super Coverite for years and find that the Lite Fab is as good, just lighter.

Hope this helps, Lee
Old 05-18-2005, 02:53 PM
GoldenAge

Thanks for the reply Lee! I really like the looks of this stuff. I think it will be a good replacement for Coverite since it was changed some years ago. From the Nelson website, I gather that LiteFab is actually ColorFab sans the paint. I also notice that the price just increased

I was going to use Sig Stix-it before ironing it on. I still have a can of that stuff, I think.

Thanks again,

Scott
Old 05-18-2005, 09:49 PM
R/C Lee

Scott, the Sig Stix-it should work well. I used the antique color of Lite Fab because it matched the color of the Jenny. I think you will be happy with the results. Lee
Old 05-19-2005, 11:41 AM
GoldenAge

Thanks again Lee! I have enough to do that Quaker and whew does that stuff smell[sm=bananahead.gif] Going to have to have some really good ventilation or I'll be floating out the door!

Scott
Old 05-19-2005, 12:39 PM
gow589
My Feedback: (1)

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Good luck with Nelson. I ordered some 4-40 heavy duty ball links a couple years ago. He charged my credid card imediatly, part went on back order, I never saw them. Several letters latter, never got them. I gave up. They are on my black list.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:48 PM
R/C Lee

Gow589: For what it's worth, I know that Nelson moved from one location to another (Hillsboro/Aloha Oregon area), and possibly he lost your phone/address. I have had absolutely no trouble getting products directly from him, and his knowledge can be helpful if you need it. Once some hinges I ordered were on backorder, and he shipped them as soon as he received them. Call him personally and I feel certain that he will take care of you.

Scott, if you don't already have it, the LiteFab is usually in the local hobby shops.

Lee
Old 05-19-2005, 09:08 PM
gow589
My Feedback: (1)

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks lee, it was a couple years ago. I hope I am the only one.