Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

New to the nitro scene, gotta ask if this is normal...

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

New to the nitro scene, gotta ask if this is normal...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 09:04 PM
spokanevr4guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the nitro scene, gotta ask if this is normal...

I purchased a ready to repair used Savage (long story actually, lost the first one disappeared off my front porch, damn UPS theives) and while it was in good condition it needed to be tuned badly. Well, after about 3 days of tuning it idles well, drives in low and high well, and I'm having a blast with my new truck. I'm 2/3 of the way through a tank of gas when I stop the truck.

The truck is smoking, badly. Not like out of the exhaust, but after taking the body off I realize it's the heat sink, it's just billowing a nice steady plume of white smoke.

Now, what I assume is that through all of my floodings and newbie mistakes i've exposed the heatsink to a lot of nitro and after run oil, which now that the truck is actually up to operating temps, is just burning off.

But I figured I would shut her down and get some opinions before I continue. I'm going to get a temp monitor tomorrow.

Jeff
Old 05-19-2005, 09:39 PM
Nitronutt
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: New to the nitro scene, gotta ask if this is normal...

If steam or smoke is coming from the head, you are running WAY hot and probably have an air leak in your engine. Seal it using the following link:

http://www.wildhobbies.com/news/defa...articleid=1233

Definately get the infrared thermometer.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:39 PM
WyomingJEEPFREAK

Default RE: New to the nitro scene, gotta ask if this is normal...

ORIGINAL: Nitronutt

If steam or smoke is coming from the head, you are running WAY hot and probably have an air leak in your engine. Seal it using the following link:

http://www.wildhobbies.com/news/defa...articleid=1233

Definately get the infrared thermometer.

Watch the Carb. When I took mine out to seal, The sleve stayed in and now I am waiting for my NEW engine.[:@]