Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

pattern ease and polyurethane...

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

pattern ease and polyurethane...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 06:31 PM
rfdias

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pattern ease and polyurethane...

Folks,
In my never ending search to find cheaper, stronger, more versitile ways to cover my planes, I read about using polyurethane as a poor mans epoxy. I found a "fabric" called pattern ease at the fabric shop. it is a lightweight, random weave polyester. When ironed to remove wrinkles, it can be applied to simple structures ( no compound curves) with oil-based polyurethane and dries nice and tight. My question is: has any one else used this technique and if so, it is wise to double-up on the fabric (ie, apply a second fabric layer)?
I have read where some folks use a similar techique prior to glassing open structures. But has anyone else used the technique as stand alone? I have used it on a "butterfly" trainer, I am currently rebuilding an LT-40 with it and am considering using it on a BalsaUAS fokker DVIII. any input or other experiences would be greatly appreciated.
cheers,
Bob