Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

DPM Edge 540T 27% CG - no more than 5 inches MAX!!

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

DPM Edge 540T 27% CG - no more than 5 inches MAX!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 11:10 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DPM Edge 540T 27% CG - no more than 5 inches MAX!!

I found out that the 5-6 CG recommended by DPM web site is way off. Mine was at around 5 inches for the maiden and WAY tail heavy. It bairly stayed level when inverted and almost wanted to climb. It handled horribly (but PERFECT tight inverted flat spins). I set it to around 4.5 inches and it's perfect. So the 5-6 inches is way off. Luckily I had experience landing tail heavy arf's (some down elevator and some throttle). I did end up breaking some structure holding the landing gear block on a rough landing (minor). Not hard to fix but landing in a cross wind with this aft CG is a bear.

Also, if your tank is in the nose, your flight will start out nose heavy and end with the CG that you set it at (empty tank). If it's on the CG like in my case, the CG will always be the same. So what I'm thinking is that the people with the tank in the nose might never come close to emptying their tank in flight. So their planes can have a little more aft CG and get away with it. In my case if it's aft to begin with, it stays that way. So a plane with the tank on the CG it's more critical that you get it right the first time. You won't have a pound plus of fuel helping you keep that nose down during the first 5 minutes of flight.

So I'd say that 4-5 inches is the correct range. I'd personally start at 4.5 inches. At 5 inches it will fly tail heavy. I did mention this to Dave Patrick on the phone this morning.

Hope this helps someone.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:21 PM
LuvBipes
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: DPM Edge 540T 27% CG - no more than 5 inches MAX!!

I agree Joe, I have mine at 4.5" and it almost needs no push to hold level inverted, which leads me to believe it's on the cusp of being tail heavy. With the Moki 2.1/ BCM pitts muffler combo, I had to put all 3 servos in the tail plus 2 ozs of lead to get the CG at 4.5"
Old 05-31-2005, 12:51 PM
JoeAirPort

Do you have to push a little inverted at the beginning of the tank or towards the end? I know you have your tank in the nose from previous discussions.

With mine at 4.5 I have to push a little when inverted (I prefer that). But it never changes from empty to full since mine is on the CG. The 4.5 is not exact, rough measurement.

ORIGINAL: LuvBipes

I agree Joe, I have mine at 4.5" and it almost needs no push to hold level inverted, which leads me to believe it's on the cusp of being tail heavy. With the Moki 2.1/ BCM pitts muffler combo, I had to put all 3 servos in the tail plus 2 ozs of lead to get the CG at 4.5"
Old 06-03-2005, 06:28 AM
LuvBipes
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't really notice change in elevator trim with tank in the nose.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:22 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are right, 6" is tail heavy. I had to apply down elevator to be able to land, made the first few flights very interesting.
I put the tank under the tube so no CG changes thru-out flight.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:05 PM
JoeAirPort

5 inches is tail heavy. 6 inches? Wow that thing must have been a handful to land. I will move mine back later if I feel that it's too far forward. I'd rather have it a little forward than aft on a new plane.

ORIGINAL: RTK

You are right, 6" is tail heavy. I had to apply down elevator to be able to land, made the first few flights very interesting.
I put the tank under the tube so no CG changes thru-out flight.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:41 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep it was interesting and it might have been more than 6". I hadn't flown in awhile (I'm not that good anyway) and the first 2 landings had me playing catch up all the way to the ground. Every time I neutralized the stick it would come up! I usually don't carry power all the way down, when I have it made I cut the power. At 6"+ CG, when you cut the power it climbs.