Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

plane bored me

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2002, 09:04 AM
Dave Barrow-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nosen Citabria

I helped a friend build one a couple years ago, he powered it with a Saito 150. It has plenty of power, and flies great. A lot of building, but it went well. Takes a lot of Monokote to cover this bird, my friend bought three 25' rolls. Took one to cover the wing, and another for the Fuselage, the third was for the trim. I recently purchased a Citabria kit on e-Bay also. I would also like to hear of modifications anyone has made to this plane.
Old 07-05-2002, 03:25 PM
FIVESQUARE
Banned

Default Building costs

I purchased a H9 t-craft ARF when they first came out.....This is a great airplane but the costs...WHEW!.....
With the new Futaba 9C, and big butt servos, hub, prop, muffler....I am over $1400.
Yes I realize I did not have to get a 9C....but they are soooooooooooooo nice!
I love this hobby.....I just have a spending problem..Going to check into Betty Ford RC clinic soon.
Doc
Old 07-30-2002, 07:22 PM
Barrrick
My Feedback: (2)

Default Nosen Citabria

Hello Friend !
I am actually flying (every Saturday) a BUD NOSEN CITABRIA that was built and covered with Monokote back in the late 70s
The plane sat untouched in a garage for over 20 years. I resuscitated it. ( In fact : on the left wing I wrote " I AM LAZARUS"............the original engine was a Zenoah 38....I took it out and sent it to BILL JENSEN in Connecticut and he refurbished/cleaned/run it back into shape. With the recoil spring it takes one flip for immediate run....It is running with everything ORIGINAL the way we built it back then, only I changed the SERVOS to newer versions (same size though) it has one 1/4scaler for the rudder - one for each elevator half - one for each aileron and the motor.....I can't tell you how much enjoyment this plane gives us all......Maneuverable, loops, rolls, sustained inverted, what else do you need ?
I have sent off for a Dig.Camera which should come next week. If you want to see this plane, ask and I will post some pics.
By all means go with the B.Nosen Citabria.
It works for me ( and all of us in our Club)
RICK
Old 08-26-2002, 09:11 PM
bignasdy

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Nosen Citabria

I picked one up around last christmas with a g 38 in it. Put a new radio in it, and patched some holes. Added some epoxy-glass mix to the upper horizontal stabilizer braces. Resoldered the lower ones. Man.... this thing sure seems fragile. Im gonna fly it this week sometime, but Im new to gas, and want to be sure everything is perfect. It has a noise trap built into the center section. I assume the spark ignition is why its there. Engine question. The tank is a two line system, with a red fueler valve mounted to the cowl. the overflow tube from the tank is routed out the side of the cowl as well. its open all the time. the vent tube that is. Is that right? I guess the engine sucks the fuel just fine eh? I would think I need a kill switch too. there is a place on the motor to connect a wire. Im guessing thats where to connect the switch? Will any switch work? Boy these tiny wing mount screw sure are scary!!!
THANX IN ADVANCE FELLAS!!! Il let yall know how it went.
d
Old 09-03-2002, 08:17 AM
bignasdy

Default crb needs a re build

went to fly it but the motor would only run out the prime. ordered a rebuild kit after inspection. heres a pic of the hideous thing. will keep yall up to date
Old 09-03-2002, 08:20 AM
bignasdy

Default any ideas?

oh! anyone got a good system , besides building a huge bench, to hold this model firmly while I start it up at the feild? thanx in advance!
d
Old 09-03-2002, 02:48 PM
Barrrick

Default reply to bignasdy

I thought I knew ALL the fields around Dallas, but I don't think I ever saw the one you took the picture in. Does the Mesquite field still exist ? The Citabria looks just fine. I am guessing that the engine uses the prime and quits because the "plumbing" in the fuel system - including the pickup inside the tank probably needs to be thouroughly inspected... Also please don't let yourself be overwhelmed by the size, you don't actually have a very big model considering that 35% and 40% are available. I actually also fly the 30% Cub and it is much larger than the Citabria.
For a "starting" convenience you may wish to construct a bench, such as appeared in one of the latest issues of MA....I don't remember the month of the issue, but it has a picture of a High wing a/c about to land, the plane is either a Taylorcraft of a super Cub, painted yellow with red decor. The article inside was done by a Club up in Connecticut and it shows just how to build those benches. I made TWO of those, one for standard size and one for 1/4 scale. Comes to about $25 worth of wood/screws, and if you have tools , build it yourself. The article has everything you need. p.s. you may have to stop one of those overflow tubes for the engine to suck up the fuel from the tank....just a "thought" Anything else, I am just to the South, a little.
RICK
Old 09-03-2002, 03:03 PM
bignasdy

Default hey Barrick

Yes our club is still in mesquite. We have to be out in a couple of months. Some more @#$!^%$%^&$@!%^(*&^$@ soccer feilds!
The pic was taken saturday in 7 points texas. My buddies ranch. Great place to fly and no dips turning on - on ya. Beleive it or not, we can get a pits in there! heres a pic of it. Im not intimidated by the size at all. This is a kite indeed. Just never ran standard gas engines, except in moto cross bikes. We have a bench exactly like the one you describe, from the same article. It is great, but its at the club. Didnt have the heart to "borrow" it. ha ha Dont know where our next feild will be but our officers are working with the mayor of rowlett to try and work out some land. Thanx for bein to the south!
d
Old 09-03-2002, 03:07 PM
bignasdy

Default The pic did not work 1 more try

One more or bust
Old 09-03-2002, 06:44 PM
Barrrick

Default once more

Great picture of the PITS ! get a chance to fly IN it ?
I am very tight with the NORTH DALLAS CLUB. I go up to Richardson quite often since that was my one and only home for more than 25 years... the secretary of the Club, John Reed is
my host each time I go. We go for events, Float Flys, etc...but
the frequency of visits is diminishing due to my poor/advancing
deteriorating spinal condition. Am sched.to go up for the new
FIELD opening in October and/or the big Float event end of
this month...IF, as you say, you are having field loss, why not
join the NDRCC.........please go to their site at NDRCC.com and
you will probably be AMAZED at just how good they are.
BEST OF EVERYTHING
RICK
Old 09-04-2002, 12:40 PM
bignasdy

Default the Pitts

yes, Flew it monday. I get in it a few times a month, it is my buddies plane, that I was supposed to split with him, but .......I chickened out after the first ride. Its just not for me. That darn thing dosent fly! Well, not like a cessna anyway! Cut the power and down ya go. Its a tail heavy ROCK! I found out real quick about motion sickness, ha ha. I dont really like hanging from the straps in the open cockpit. Its an A model with removeable windscreen, tandem seats. Im so wide that i have to sit on a makeshift cushion to get out of the way for Cris's feet to work the rudder. That puts me almost above the cg which throws you out of the plane during a roll instead of forcing you into the seat like it should. Seams like the harness could be a little stronger. No matter how tight I rachet myself in, im always hangin! I still go just for the rush , and I get sick every time. ha ha Man! I didnt know loops were so darn scary! We get speed up, start the loop , get to the top and let go of the stick, and sail out to the rear. What a rush! Thats the worst part! Or the best depending on how ya look at it. ha ha We go out to his ranch and the crazy dude comes in out of a loop, redlining the airspeed, pulls in to about six feet and knife edges it for about two hundred yards! It will climb slightly with full rudder but wont loop in a knife.The knife has the worst feelings associated with it. It just dont feel right. Man...that thing is scary!Im thinkin it redlines at 200, but I may be off by 25 or so. Well, this is way off the subject of rc so.........
We will get a new feild, we are workin hard for one. I dont do north dallas club . Too many people, to little time to fly amongst other reasons. Dont get me wrong, I know alot of the guys, and have flown at the old place, and the two new ones. Also, just a couple weeks ago, a dude up there got robbed at gunpoint by two africans, that took all his stuff. Wonder how much crack theyll get for the planes? That crap was goin on back in the 80s. I keep my derringer in my pocket, and i'm pretty darn good with it. Il get two shots for sure! The carb rebuild kit should be here soon, and the nosen will be up in the air then. I'll let ya know how it goes! Nice yackin with ya!
d
Old 09-04-2002, 02:45 PM
Barrrick

Default BEST EMAIL YET

hey PAL, great letter. Thanks for taking the time.
You are essentially RIGHT about everything. plus all the NEW UNKNOWN stuff about riding in a PITS. WOW that is so cool, but as you said, nerve shaking. I don't think I am quite up to that excitement.
I know about the episode you mention at the NDRCC. The hijacked club member is my very best friend in the world, and I was on the phone with him the next day, sorta sympathizing with him. He is Dr. Ed Hurt and he is in his 80s......he was a PATTERN flier beginning with me, in the RICHARDSON CLUB back in 1966 when we were both flying pattern (or just beginning to ! ) They took his wallet with the money, plus ALL his equipment and the big pattern airplane also. Now I wish you were there with the derringer, you could have SCORED TWICE and scott free... too bad for a missed golden opp. I hope they fry in hell too.
Maybe the model will be located sometime, with the AMA number painted...who knows ?
Well after hearing from you and all that good cool stuff I really want to be living back in Dallas
oh well
RICK
Old 09-28-2002, 09:35 PM
bignasdy

Default plane bored me

although the first takeoff was adrenalin laced, I was bored in ten minutes. the guys are right about it being lazy. I left it at my buddies ranch for him to fly. He loves it. It does look just like the real thing in flight. Im gonna get sumpthin else to thrash around like an ultastick120 or? yall take care!
david
Old 12-18-2002, 08:46 PM
3dd
My Feedback: (6)

Default Nosen Citabria

i have had mine for 15 years and it flys great on a st 2500 with an 18x6 prop cut down to 17 1/2 x 6 really flys great.be careful as they will come out nose heavy really easy with a big motor in it