Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

1/6 Pilatus Porter by IKON N'WST Any one build one yet?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

1/6 Pilatus Porter by IKON N'WST Any one build one yet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 09:02 AM
Steve Mumford
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/6 Pilatus Porter by IKON N'WST Any one build one yet?

I have one almost ready and its been a real chore. I was wondering if any of you out there has built and flying one?

Thanks
Steve
Old 07-08-2005, 10:25 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 1/6 Pilatus Porter by IKON N'WST Any one build one yet?

My kit was a piece of garbage. I built the fusealage and finally gave up on the rest of the airframe. From my point of view the kit was overpriced for the quality of the contents.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:03 PM
Steve Mumford

Thanks for the reply. I've been fighting mine all along. This is what I "THINK" happened , this is just a guess, Emil may have Altzeimers. the drawings were hard to read and understand. I think this was his last airplane design. I received instructions with the kit and when I asked for a clearer understanding , I was sent similar instructions they were close but not the same as the original. Its really unforturnate because I built his 8 Ft Beaver and it was a GREAT airplane. I believe Emil was a good designer but age got him like it will most likely get me.
Steve
Old 07-08-2005, 03:32 PM
vicarh

Steve,

Look at my avatar. It is Ikon's PC-6. It took me a long time to build it but I love the plane. It is a joy to fly around. I have mine decorated like a skydiving plane. It is a builders kit but it is not unbuildable. This was my first big airplane and I will never regret having built it. I have been flying it with a 1.20 and just got a Saito 150 to try and give it a little more power for more realistic take offs.

Flycatch,

Do you still have the unfinished kit? How far did you take it?
Old 07-08-2005, 03:45 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have the kit because I gave it away to another modeler. I said the kit was garbage and I'll stand behind this description. I'm not new to kit or scratch building so that was never an issue with this kit. The supplied wood material was of the poorest quality and I ended up replacing at least half of the material provided. The best kits were sold under the Dave Plate label and each piece of wood in my opinion was hand selected. Ikon failed to do this. If you were satisified with what you purchased Im happy for you.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:57 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have read comments on the Ikon kits that range from "absolute junk" to very nice. Seems there was no consistancy in the past. I have read where the new owners are redoing a lot, if not all the kits.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:39 PM
vicarh

Flycatch,

I did not mean to imply that you were wrong in your assessment, neither did I say that mine was a great kit. I am satisfied with the end result but I had to put a great effort into finishing it. I have heard varied opinions regarding Ikon. I had several conversations with Emil and he was always willing to provide suggestions. I also hear that the new owners are trying to rebuild the business but they have been at it for a couple of years now...
Old 07-08-2005, 11:04 PM
khodges

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

How long ago did you guys get your kits? I've heard that Ikon was under new ownership, and that these issues (poor plans / materials, etc) were going to be addressed by the new owner. Ikon has some kits you don't see much of, too bad if they're POS's. I'd love to find a good kit of a Porter. They're ugly / beautiful; looks like the tail sections were built by the mile and whacked off into 6 foot sections. Is Ikon's a 1/5 scale kit? Let me know if you've heard anything regarding what direction ikon is going
Old 07-09-2005, 06:47 AM
vicarh

I do not remember the scale of my 98" WS IKON Porter. But check out the 120" (1:5 scale) at [link]http://www.mraerodesign.com/[/link]. I meet a fellow at an IMAA event here in Florida that was building one and he was EXTREMELLY impressed. I expect to see it this comming seasson. I am waiting to get a bigger building room and I will get one myself. I agree with you, they have that ugly-duckling look to them that makes them very attractive.