Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Dual servo aileron...

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Dual servo aileron...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 04:57 PM
justrfb
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual servo aileron...

Hello All,
I am going to be building (I hope...) a plane that will use 2 servos per single aileron. This will be my first at this method. How do I know if the servos are fighting each other (wasting precious mA's) and can I split the aileron in 2 and have each servo drive 1/2 of one aileron? That way, they will operate together in all respects but will not fight each other... Good idea? I think I seen the idea on this forum... As always, thank you.

Justrfb
Old 10-16-2002, 05:52 PM
JIMESTES
My Feedback: (8)

Spend a few 20's and get a good servo driver and program your limits.
Old 10-16-2002, 05:57 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All aspects considered, your solution to make each aileron into two is the most fail safe solution. You will not have to worry about one servo fighting the other or have programming problems; plus, should one fail you still maintain a good degree of control with the remaining one. You have a good KISS (keep it simple stupid) solution.
Old 10-31-2002, 08:47 PM
trailingedge
My Feedback: (1)

Why not use a bellcrank setup to make one servo push(and pull) the aileron from two different points. I've been tinkering with this idea for a while. You'd never have the fighting problem and it would save you some weight also. You'd just have to use a higher torque servo if you're looking for torque.
Old 10-31-2002, 09:38 PM
Giant Scale

justrfb
If you are using the hitec 5945 or 5645 you don't need two aileron servos, one will work just fine. Are you still considering the 1/3 scale GP Extra?
You can tell if digitals are fighting each other because they will make a whining sound, you'll be able to hear if they are fighting each other.
Old 10-31-2002, 10:06 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The split aileron is a good (if unconventional) idea. Another way to go is the cheapskate method (Which this cheapskate used on HIS GP Extra 330L).

Hook the servo with the shortest arm straight to the aileron, Then put a small bend in the longer pushrod. If the two servos have any deviation between them, it won't be much, and the slight bend will accomodate for it if there is any. I wouldn't recommend this if you're going to put a Volkswagon engine in the thing and do any 3-D stuff, but for simple aerobatics, mine held up fine with standard servos.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	33214_7722.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	4.1 KB
ID:	19551  
Old 11-01-2002, 03:48 AM
banktoturn

justrfb,

I like the split aileron idea best, if you really can't get the torque you need from one servo. It would be hard to guarantee that two servos rigidly connected to the same control surface wouldn't fight each other.

banktoturn
Old 11-01-2002, 12:24 PM
justrfb
My Feedback: (2)

Default Yes I am...

Thanks Giant Scale, MikeB and banktoturn for your replies...

Giant Scale, I am waiting for the little, fat man in the big red suit to slide down my chimney and place those 2 BIG boxes under our tree. We shall see...

I believe my RC hobby budget was opened up a bit by my financial controller (read Wife, she is the one who said to me as she was looking at a 40% Carden Extra, "why don't you build something like that?" This is just one of the reasons why I love that woman! ) so the money available for the servos is such that I should not have to gang 2 lesser torque servos on one surface. I would still like to do it though just to see it work. Maybe on another project... or on this one, who knows... I will let you know.

Justrfb
Old 11-01-2002, 02:35 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If that's the case, I would go with one hi-torque servo... I'd hate to see a nice plane like that with split ailerons.