Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

4 star 40 tail wheel assembly

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

4 star 40 tail wheel assembly

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 02:40 PM
daragsdale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 star 40 tail wheel assembly

I was wondering if anybody could tell me what the best tail wheel assembly to use is. I have tried the stock assembly that came with the kit and that was definitely not sufficient with attaching it to the rudder. I then bought one and tried one from sullivan. It used a spring that attached to the rudder, but the wheel was mounted to the fuselage. If anybody could maybe give me some advice on this, I would really appreciate it.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:05 PM
msu68stang
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: 4 star 40 tail wheel assembly

I use the sullivan type on all my planes...Works very well
Old 08-07-2005, 05:31 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to 2nd the Sullivan tailwheel assemblys. They are strong, easy to install and basically fool proof.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:27 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

3rd vote for the Sullivan tailwheels.

Ken
Old 08-09-2005, 01:10 PM
CP140

Another vote for the Sullivans...I've got one on each of my 40-size and 60-size four stars...I also had [:@] one on my Hog Bipe....
Old 08-09-2005, 01:58 PM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

I'll keep up the unanimous concensus for the Sullivan.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:14 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the Sullivan on a few but on my 4*60 the direct stock attachment to the rudder works well.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:49 AM
CP140

I started out with the stock installation on my 40 size, but the wire that goes into the rudder kept "popping" out the side of the rudder...taking a chunk of the rudder with it and making steering really ugly!

I tried glassing the base of the rudder, but it didn't seem to help... I eventually gave up and tried the Sullivan TW mount, which seems a little more damage resistant off a rough field.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:21 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've built three 4*40's. THe first had the Sullivan unit, the second 2 used the stock tailwheel assembly per instructions.

The sullivan is a very nice assembly, I used it in my first 4*40. Be aware that it will add weight that you'll have to counterbalance in the engine compartment. If you do use it, use a very stiff spring or solid wire into the rudder. In a cross wind, the springs aren't enough to overcome the side loads of the wind while you taxi out. That's just something to be aware of.

The 2nd and 3rd built with the stock tailwheel assembly. No problems at all. The tail isn't on the ground all that long anyway to let vibration or steering be a problem for the hinges. My 2nd and 3rd are still flying just fine.

You might want to beef up where the stringers meet the former behind the 'headrest'. That's a weak area, though easily fixed if you have a hard landing. Also, use some pine or other hardwood to beef up the threaded blocks where the wing bolts into the fuse. The balsa blocks in there just aren't strong enough...

You're going to love this plane.

Just my $.02

Bob